Needing MacPro Purchasing Advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by idearoom, Apr 30, 2008.

1. idearoom macrumors newbie

idearoom

I am a looking to buy a new Mac Pro. Im currently on a 15" Powerbook G4 (1.5 Ghz) Im not a gamer or anything so my main purpose is for graphics apps ie. Adobe Suite, Final Cut Studio Etc...

After hearing rumors today about a new graphics card that may possibly be available the end of may, and with that some mixed reviews about performance with the current ATI 2600 and the Nvidia 8800 (some saying the 2600 did better in some tests) Im undecided how I should configure...

Should I just go with the Radeon 2600 or have them put in the Nvidia 8800? or wait for this new Radeon 3870 to come out. I guess Im just looking for best performance for working in graphics or video editting environment.

Also, can anyone can offer any additional input on what to consider when purchasing. I dont nessacerily want to buy to much computer when a high end Imac will do just as good a job.

Advice?

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

1. Buy Mac Pro now and buy new card when it comes out.

2. Buy Mac Pro when new card comes out, but there will be something newer on the horizon. Do you want to wait

3. If you don't know whether you need Mac Pro or not (and you have a powerbook g4), iMac might do it for you, unless you need non-glossy screen. I guess you don't travel with your computer? If you travel, MBP and external monitor and raid drives will be better for the main set up. So I suspect iMac will probably do it for you.

3. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

I'd go with the standard card and not pay to upgrade.

It sounds like the upcoming card may be more bang for the buck than the 8800.

I have a Jan 2008 Mac Pro, dual quad core with the 2600 and I've not found it lacking at all. I'm using FCP and Photoshop a lot. I haven't done much with Motion yet, but overall, I'm very happy with the stock card.

4. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Will you really notice a difference in the cards if you're making the huge leap from a PB to a MacPro? Probably not...