Needing syncing app: external drive <-> one folder (Kindle)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cleo, May 27, 2008.

1. cleo macrumors 65816

cleo

Title says it all. I'm looking for an app that will do a bidirectional sync between an external drive and a single folder on my Mac. Even better if it will automagically recognize the drive when I plug it in and do everything without being asked or told where to look... just like iPods in iTunes.

This is specifically for my Kindle. It mounts as a regular ol' external drive. Because I download some books wirelessly from the Kindle Store, and others are from various websites (like feedbooks) that I download and transfer via USB, the larger my libarary gets, the harder it is to sync manually. (And I want bidirectional sync in order to keep a copy of all my books, clippings, notes, etc. backed up on my Mac & its backup.)

So anyway... any tips? I'm not looking for anything super-complex. No scheduling, no fancy interface. Just "when you see this device, sync it with that folder." Cheap is good, free is better. (Doing it within the OS is better still! Automator, maybe?)

Thx!

2. cleo thread starter macrumors 65816

cleo

Perfect! I don't have my Kindle with me, but I tested it between two folders on my local drive and it's exactly what I wanted.

Followup:

I suspect there's a way to configure this using Folder Actions so that it will automatically run when the Kindle is plugged in... but I've never used Folder Actions, and only have minimal Automator experience, s I'm not sure how I'd go about it. Thoughts?

3. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

There is a shareware alternative that I used called "File Synchronization".

It has options to do bi-directional or uni-directional (you choose which way), a preview mode to see what has changed on both sides and what will be synchronized, an "automatic" synchronization with the option to specify when it should take place etc.

I have been using it for years to synchronize two macs (many folders or single files) and it has never failed me.