Needing to restore regularly

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by LumbermanSVO, Nov 7, 2007.

1. LumbermanSVO macrumors 65816

I bought my iPhone about 8 weeks ago. From the get go I have had to restore it every 2 weeks or so.

After a couple weeks Safari will crash while playing music, often times the music will stop at the same time. Sometimes the phone will become unresponsive for several seconds at a time.

The iPod will stop updating playcounts and such for the music, podcasts and TV shows. This means I have to manually mark Podcasts and TV shows as played. I also use Smart playlists that rely on the iPod marking the played songs properly.

I wouldn't mind having to do this so much if I wasnt a truck driver and on the road for 3-4 weeks at a time. I have limited acess to the net, so limited ability to restore.

Is this normal for anyone else? Has anyone had their phone replaced due to simular issues?

2. JPyre macrumors 6502

Safari crashes during playback all the time, on any iPhone, with any version, hacked or unhacked. It just does.

As far as the playcounts, I was un-aware that the iPhone kept track of it, where can you check those stats in the phone?

Why do you need the internet for a restore? I was under the impression that once you restore at least once that the file is stored on the computer. If not, you can always download the restore file from Apple and keep it on your HD.

Hundreds of resteraunts, hotels / motels, and cities have wifi, can you not find a free connection?

I don't think restoring everyday or getting a replacement will change any of your issues listed.

3. LumbermanSVO thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah, there are LOTS of places with free WiFi, but try getting a 70 foot long, 13.5 foot tall truck anywhere near them, if they don't have a "No Trucks" sign up.

I've tried to do a restore without being connected to the net and I get a message saying I need to be connected. Where do I go to download the resore file? I haven't seen that option anywhere.

After a restore the phone works great for a little over a week. It is very responsive, no hanging, Safari doesn't crash. When I sync, the songs I've played in the last week get removed, my smart playlists are updated in iTunes and new songs get put on the phone. The TV shows and podcasts I've played get removed. All works as it should. But once I get to the two week mark...

4. ibwb macrumors regular

Maybe this is too obvious, but have you tried just restarting the phone? Hold down the sleep switch until you get the red slider, shut it down, and then start it back up (again with the sleep button)? That seems to help mine sometimes.

5. LumbermanSVO thread starter macrumors 65816

6. JPyre macrumors 6502

http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite...927.In76t/iPhone1,1_1.1.1_3A109a_Restore.ipsw

Is the location of the 1.1.1 firmware. Save it to your HDD.

In iTunes (mac) hold option and click restore, this will prompt you for the file location. WinX i believe its shift+click.

7. ndwgolf macrumors regular

Is that the same way you can restore a unlocked iPhone without it getting locked? example my iphone is 1.1.1 if I restore to the same firmware it will stay unlocked?
    I am new to this, infact I am still waiting for my Phone to arrive from the US