Needing to type .com in Safari

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jmsait19, Nov 6, 2007.

1. jmsait19 macrumors 6502

I had experienced this when Safari 3 Beta came out, and it turned me back to Safari 2. I was hoping it wasn't a "feature" in the final version...

But has anyone else noticed that if you type in a word such as "macrumors" something different happens nows.

If you typed that into the old safari address bar, it would automatically add the www. and the .com and take you to www.macrumors.com.

Now, in Safari 3, it just hangs and can't find the server. Once you add the www. and .com, it goes right ahead. Am I missing something? I enjoyed just typing the word and not having to worry about my w's and .com's...

2. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

That is not an issue here :confused: I'm not sure why you would be having this problem but hopefully someone can help you out.

I am running safari 3.0.3 and I just type in the word and .com is automatically added. No hanging, just goes straight to the right page.

3. XheartcoreboyX macrumors 6502a

XheartcoreboyX

same here .

4. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

I thought this only autocompleted based on your browsing history?

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

This is my understanding as well. Afterall, mozilla.com and mozilla.org are different sites. And we all know that whitehouse.com and whitehouse.gov have nothing to do with each other.

6. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

Mine's running just fine.

I accidentally went to http://www.whitehouse.org/ :)

7. jmsait19 thread starter macrumors 6502

Interesting... It wasn't an autocomplete thing. It just went there, or any other site.

Whatever it is, it is different. And I don't really like it.

So if you just type in macrumors and hit enter it goes to macrumors.com? Without any autocomplete? Mine gives me a "cant find server" until i go back and type in the .com

8. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

exactly, it's NOT an auto complete thing. If I want go go to a site I've never been to before, I just type in the word and it takes me there. I've never been to whitehouse.com or whitehouse.gov before so I just typed in whitehouse and it autamatically brought me to whitehouse.com.

Safari will only send you to .com's but if you want a .org or .net. you simply have to type it in - but NOT for the .com version. Safari won't guess what you mean, it will always just add .com.

9. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i had that issue a lot with the public beta of safari 3, but i haven't had it so much (still do, though) since upgrading to leopard (safari 3.0.4). my suggestion is to wait for the autocomplete, or try again (without the .com).

10. jmsait19 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes... that is what I was trying to say. Except it doesn't do this in the new version... Or at least not all the time, like it did in the old versions...

I don't know exactly what I'm trying to accomplish with this thread... More just bring it to attention and see if others notice it... Whether or not it bothers them, I suppose...

11. cuestakid macrumors 68000

i am experiencing the exact same thing-when i leave out the .com i get some kind can't find page with my ISP on it(charter in my case). I would really like to know how to get it back because it was very useful