Needs help finding cheap RAM for PowerBook G4 (Also need advice on performance)

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by gumbyx84, Dec 31, 2008.

1. gumbyx84 macrumors 6502

gumbyx84

Hey all. I am need of some help hunting down some PC133 notebook RAM for my gf's PowerBook G4. She only has 512MB ATM and she is running into performance problems (hangups when running multiple apps at the same time). We both know she should just upgrade to a new machine, but she is tight on cash, so we need to squeeze another year or so out of this old box. I plan on throwing a new HD into it, which is easy to get a hold of, but finding PC133 RAM is turning out ot be harder then I thought. I do not want her to spend $80+ on a single stick of outdated RAM. Anyone here know where I could find some cheap, reliable PC133 RAM, from a reliable source?

Thanks ahead of time to anyone who can help me out.

PS If anyone knows of a way I can squeeze a bit more performance out of her PowerBook besides the HD and RAM, please share it.

2. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

Find her PowerBook model here. Crucial is normally the cheapest but if you want to shop around you can do a Google Product search.

3. kennyli macrumors regular

Try eBay. Someone is selling used PC133 ram. But they are not cheap! 512MB will cost you more than $80! In my opinion, it is not worth to do so ..... !

4. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

Matching RAM will help the performance of a computer. Especially if it is new and matching. I, personally, would never put old and different RAM into my MBP.