Needs help with categorising iTunes songs, please help!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by lhlee96, Jan 5, 2012.

1. lhlee96 macrumors member

lhlee96

I'd like to apologise in advance if my wording of the issue is confusing.

I've recently downloaded a Top 100 album with no problems. When searching for a specific artist who has a song in the Top 100 album, I have to use the search bar in the Music app because for some strange reason, all of the artists in the Top 100 album do not appear in the Artists tab.

I have tried selecting all of the songs and putting the album artist as Various Artists. It does not solve the issue, as all of the songs now appear under "Various Artists" in the Artists tab.

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I hate to tell you.....Butyou are going to have to go through each song and put in the details....The trouble with compilations is that iTunes frequently can't find any artwork in it's database.

It's a pain, but I've never found a workaround.

3. lhlee96 thread starter macrumors member

lhlee96

Do you mean that the only workaround is to find the original album name of each song, because as a compilation, it would not work?

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Pretty much. Once you start however, iTunes will fill in each field for you. But yes, compilations suck on iTunes....I don't use match so can't advise you if that's any better, it probably is but the service is expensive here in the UK.

5. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

If you are able to select the entire album, and click CMD-i, it'll say Are you sure you want to edit information for multiple items? Click Yes, and it should bring up a window with details of all the songs you've selected. If you click on the options tab, you should see where it says Part of a compilation: if this is set to yes, then change it to no. Then press ok.

You should now see all the artists listed under the artists column. :)

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

This i am about to try! Thanks for the tip!

----------

You Sir are a genius....Works a treat :D

7. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

8. lhlee96 thread starter macrumors member

lhlee96

It does work in the sense that now I am able to see the artists, but when I go into the albums tab, there are 100 albums, each containing the songs of a specific artist. Is there any way to fix this?

9. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

It's left just one album unsorted (The Pretenders Greatest Hits) everything else, even some pretty obscure stuff has now been organised....Why the heck don't they document this type of thing?:eek:

10. lhlee96 thread starter macrumors member

lhlee96

Oh, and I mean how it is shown on my iPhone.