Needs some advice on buying the updated MBP!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by foxpat, Apr 13, 2010.

1. foxpat macrumors newbie

Hey there
    So, as we ALL know, the macbook pros have been updated
    I was hoping for a little more for the 13' ones, but I need a computer before September.

So, I have two questions:

1. Would the 2.4 low end MBP be sufficient for my needs?
    I'm only in High school right now, but I've saved up enough for me to buy my own computer (our house only has two communal computers that we all used)
    I would use it for some video editing (school projects), word document, browsing, etc etc (no games)

2. Is there a possibility that the 13' would be updated again to the new chips before september? And if so, how big a possibility would that be?

Thank you.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The current generation, the last generation, the generation before that and the one before that and the one before that and some more generations before that are fully capable of what you want to do.

The next update is likely to happen in October or November or maybe January 2011.

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#MacBook_Pro

3. foxpat thread starter macrumors newbie

hmm, so I guess the wiser decision is to buy it now? I can use my brother's student discount..

4. Lixia macrumors newbie

Lixia

Sorry to the OP to hijack his thread, but I also have a question... regular screen or high res (glossy) screen for the 15 inch i7 MBP... any disadvantages to the high resolution? (can it still be ran in 1400x900 without any blur and with the same performance as the 'native' res) ?

thanks

5. akkkmed macrumors 6502

Are you kidding me?
    I've been guilty of thread jacking, but only when my question is related to the OP. Yours isn't even remotely related. (Yes, you're both asking about MacBooks...)

6. Lixia macrumors newbie

Lixia

7. akkkmed macrumors 6502

The title for a thread on a forum doesn't mean "post anything that correlates to this title."

I'm just messing with you. I thought it was funny. :p Best, but worst, thread-jack ever.

8. foxpat thread starter macrumors newbie

9. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

What year are you in HS, do you plan on taking it to college? If so, then buy the best you can so maybe you can upgrade later on in college...

10. akkkmed macrumors 6502

Back on subject, OP I am in the same boat as you. College in the Fall, blah, blah, blah.

I'm going to pull the trigger on the new MBP 13". Even the MB is sufficient, but I won't go without the metal body if I'm finally going to get a Mac :D

It's plenty fast for your needs. Yes, every one is saying Core 2 is dead, but that's their opinion. And yes, I would have preferred the Core i3 simply because it's new technology, but the fact is it hardly matters for the tasks you (and I) need it for.

11. foxpat thread starter macrumors newbie

I am not going away to university for another two years haha..
    I just need a personal computer, since I do not have one (as in, ALL MINE :p our family shares 3)

12. akkkmed macrumors 6502

In that case, I really think you should just buy the MB. Like I said, it's plenty fast. In two years, when you're ready for college, then sell the MB. Use that money towards the latest and greatest MBP. That way, you'll have a brand new, metal laptop for school. Right now, it's not worth the extra money for a Pro, especially considering you're probably not going to be carrying it around that much (meaning the plastic unibody is fine for now. Get the aluminum for college).

I don't know where you're located, but ~$900 for a MB is good for you. Then bump up the RAM if you want.

Or...for the time being, you could just buy my Dell Studio 14z from me. That would make this situation a whole lot better. Plus, you'll have a speedy, small laptop with a Core 2 Duo for only $500!