All iPads Needs some advice on changing my set up.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Caris, Nov 4, 2013.

  1. Caris macrumors 6502a

    Caris

    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2006
    Location:
    Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK
    #1
    Hello everyone, I'm having a bit of a dillema and would like your opinions on my plan.

    Currently I have the 2013 MacBook Air and a 32GB iPhone 5S. But for a long time I've been using my phone most of the time to do things like Facebook, browse the web etc. I don't use my Mac all that much.

    So over the past few days I've been thinking about selling my MacBook and buying a 128GB iPad Air. I think a tablet would do 90% of the stuff I need a computer for and a it seems but more suited to my needs. I would buy a cheap Windows laptop as I'll need a computer for iTunes and the odd other thing but I'm very tempted to make a tablet my primary computing device.

    Has anyone done this? And what are peoples thoughts.

    Thanks.
     
  2. comatose81 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2009
    #2
    You didn't realize this a few months ago when you bought the MacBook? You're going to get slaughtered on the sale so if keep the MacBook and buy a 16GB iPad 2 used.
     
  3. Capt T macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2010
    #3
    Sounds like a good plan if that is what you feel is best for you.
     
  4. DFZD macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2012
    #4
    Or sell everything and buy the Note III. It's a phone, that's also a tablet, and it has android so you can use it as a computer.

    </Sarcasm>

    Jokes apart, it would not be wise to sell it right now, as the latest devices just released, you'd get the worst resale value relative to your usage.

    I would instead suggest to buy an iPad mini refurbished, and sell it off next year before Air 2, Mini 3 comes, and then wait and buy that.
     
  5. bandrews macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 18, 2008
    #5
    I think you might struggle without the MacBook. iTunes on Windows is a hateful experience and things just don't all work together as well as they do in the Apple ecosystem. Also, we aren't quite in the "Post PC" utopia Jobs envisaged at the launch of the iPad.
    Look at second hand iPads - maybe a 16GB mini, 2 or 4 depending on funds. I have an iMac for heavy photo editing sessions, boring grown up work/admin and storage of all my media. iPad is ideal for FB, checking/quick reply to emails, magazines, viewing photos, watching videos etc. Phone for everything else on the go.
     
  6. nostresshere macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2010
    #6
    too hard for people here to answer this.

    What do you use the MAC for? What might you use it for going forward?

    Do you really need a 128gb tablet?

    What can you afford?
     
  7. Krevnik macrumors 68040

    Krevnik

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2003
    #7
    +1.

    As someone who makes their living using a computer, the iPad cannot replace a laptop in my situation. Although for some it certainly can. The iPad for me is about being more portable, but more focused. Reading PDFs on the go, accessing my recipes in OneNote or taking more notes during a meeting. Planning my day using GTD apps. It is in many ways an invaluable tool because of what it can do, but I can't make my living on it at the end of the day.

    The real question here is: what do you use your MacBook for? What makes you go to it when you need to?
     
  8. Mainsail macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2010
    #8
    I will address the general premise of your question, rather than the specific timing of when you should buy or sell a particular device.

    For home use, the iPad has been my primary computing device since launch in 2010. For 90% of most peoples' personal computing needs, it is more than sufficient. I just purchased an iPad Air, and it is a terrific device. I bought a desktop to supplement my iPad and to handle the other 10% of my home computing needs. If you already have a monitor and keyboard, the Mac Mini is a good option. I paid $570 for mine at Best Buy. Sometimes, I use the Mac Mini for routine activities that can be easily handled by the iPad....just to get some variety and change ergonomic positions. Anyway, if you don't do a lot of heavy computing when away from your desk, the Mac Mini + iPad is an excellent reasonably priced combination.
     
  9. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2013
    #9
    Only you can answer this question. While I have not used my laptop in a while, my desktop is still very needed.
     
  10. mkkulesza macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 16, 2013
    #10
    Hi what kind of GTD aps are you using?
    I'm searching cheep solution.
     
  11. bnekic macrumors 6502a

    bnekic

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2013
    Location:
    Cleveland, OH
    #11
    My setup is a 27" iMac, iPad Air and iPhone 5s...this is the best setup for me.
     

Share This Page