Needs vs. Speed for External HD

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Hard-Hat-Mac, Sep 11, 2007.

1. Hard-Hat-Mac macrumors regular

Hi All i'm debating whether to get a 800 FW/400FW external HD or the 400FW/USB 2.0. I'll be using it primarily for backup of media and time machine when Leo comes out.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

HHM

2. Stetwin macrumors 6502

Stetwin

I would say if your going to get an external HDD pay that little bit extra and get FW 800,

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

^^ That's good advice... the only caution I'd say is, yes, you're getting a moderate to substantial speed boost with FW800, but are you sure you can live without USB2? No chance you'll use it with Windows PCs or with an AEBS? If so, go for it. Or if you don't particularly dislike them, you can even get a triple (USB2/FW400/FW800) or maybe even quadruple interface box (those + eSATA) from Lacie or the like.

4. Hard-Hat-Mac thread starter macrumors regular

True - i've debated getting an AEBS - but was unsure if it'd work with Verzion FioS.

5. BrittQ macrumors regular

External enclosure with 3.5 SATA drive(s). Connect with eSATA via expresscard34 slot (for greater speed). From what I understand if your external hd has eSATA + usb and/or firewire, it will be as slow as firewire/usb because it has to bridge the data to firewire/usb then back to the eSATA. So you would want to go pure eSATA.