Needs vs. want: buying MBP 15 because of screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ssdaytona, Apr 20, 2011.

1. ssdaytona macrumors member

ok, so I have an early 2009 MBP with an amazing screen. 15" glossy std res Chei Mei 9C85. Apple didn't offer the anti-glare or hi-res yet. It's time to upgrade since, it took 30 mins to encode a 25 minute movie the other day.

My needs: internet, email, occasional photo editing of 22 MP files from a Canon 5Dii, occasional video encoding. No gaming or crazy multiple open appications at once.

My wants: New MBP quad core with the hi-res anti-glare.

I just saw the hi-res anti-glare screen at the local apple store and it's amazing. No glare whatsoever, colors were great. However, I realize that I don't really need it. I was going to purchase the 13" MBP since it was more portable and I mainly use it for the web. BUT, the screen on the 13" is not as good as the standard glossy on the 15". Would I be content with the 13". Don't know the answer to that. I don't even think the hi-res screen will be as bright as my current screen.

anyway. do I just buy the 15" or live with it and get the 13"

2. iMackPro macrumors 6502

if you can afford it i don't know why you wouldn't. very few people really NEED the i7 maxed out 15" but hey if you can afford it why wouldn't you? Now if you're looking into financing it and will have to pay minimum payments for 18 months id say take another look, but as for encoding, well the mac in my sig is just a beast =) posted a thread the other day about how my SSD ripping Inception (12 gigs 1080p was compressed in under 7 minutes) yea its a beast, and the HD screen is amazing on it, they could have done better with the whites (i think the matte might do a better job, my friend has the air and i think the whites on it look pure as a virgin) but the blacks on my mac are absolutely amazing.

Again, if money isn't an option id say go for it!!! but don't you dare buy a new mac without a SSD, it just wouldn't be right :D

3. TheFarmer macrumors 6502

Get the 15" You're already second guessing the 13" so the hi res antiglare 15" will do just fine :) If you're worried about brightness compared to your current MacBook, bring it with you to the store to compare. I can almost guarantee you will find very little difference in brightness, especially with all the glare from the lights in the showroom :D

4. ssdaytona thread starter macrumors member

luckily, I don't need to worry too much about $.

anyway. it's just the 13" form factor is so much nicer. easy to carry around. I always said to myself, that I would buy a aluminum powerbook (remember those days) when they came out with a 13". Well, it's been around for quite a while and I haven't bought the 13", yet. The screen is just not up to par with the 15".

The 15" is overkill for processing power with what I'll be mainly using it for. Since, I'll be replacing the C2D iMac with the upcoming refresh. I'll use that for encoding and photo editing.

Now, the 13" macbook air's screen is also gorgeous, but it lacks power. oh well, can't have everything. Anyway, I just placed the order for the 15"

BTW, what did you use to encode the movie? handbrake? what preset? A freaking 25 minute disney cartoon 3GB file took 30 mins on my 2.66 C2D MPB. It's rediculous.

5. iMackPro macrumors 6502

i use Xilisoft Video Conveter Ultimate 6. and love it.

I have never used handbrake but i assume most of these programs are the same because they all write to the same file. I do wonder if one/any/all are 64 bit and can handle multiple threads?

6. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

You mean the 12" PB