Needs Your Advise. Replacing 2TB Time Capsule

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by FarSeide, Nov 2, 2009.

1. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

I need some advise on replacing my "Just Delivered" 2TB Time Capsule.

My previous 1TB TC died so I ordered the 2TB TC. After reading about the power supply issues, I could see my new 2TB TC dying as well after about 18 months since PS design remains the same.

With that said, what would be the best way to spend $500 for router + remote storage solution.

I was thinking, new version of Airport Extreme Base Station + G-Technology 1TB G-DRIVE High-Performance Hard Drive.

Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. orangezorki macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I was in a similar position last weekend. I was trying to install windows 7 on my MBP, and somehow managed to wipe my HD, luckily before I transferred all my files across to it, because I didn't have a backup. So, I knew that I wouldn't be motivated to use anything other than Time Machine, so looked into the options.

Now, I think that the Time Capsule is a stunning concept, but unfortunately the stories of PSUs dying after 18 months just didn't fill me with confidence, so I thought that I should go somewhere else. It seems like there are no other wireless router/HD combos, so in the end I bought an overpriced Western Digital 2Gb Studio HD with every port imaginable. Useful at the moment, because I don't have my own WiFi network and I can connect it directly over FW800. In the long run, I will be moving somewhere with my own WiFi network, and will most likely get an Airport Extreme base station and connect it to that for high speed backups.

However, for you, if you are going to get a HD only to connect to an Airport Extreme, I recommend you get an USB only drive from the manufacturer you trust the most, because whilst when connected directly other disks will be faster, you are limited to USB 2.0 and Wireless n speeds on the Airport Extreme.

So, in summary: Get a slow but reliable USB 2.0 drive for the cheapest you can. And Enjoy!

David.

3. FarSeide thread starter macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

David,

Thanks for your input.

My initial plan was to use the 2TB TC for Time Machine, File Storage and Router all in one. Well with the PSU issues, I'm looking for a different route.

I'm thinking about connecting G-Drive directly to my uMBP using the FW800 while using AEBS strictly as a dual band router.

After losing all my data from my first TC, I can't trust TC to hold my critical data. I also know that there is no such thing as fail proof storage media but at least I know that it doesnt have 18 months life span.