NEF Photos onto iPad Pro?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MatthewStorm, Dec 17, 2015.

1. MatthewStorm macrumors 6502a

MatthewStorm

Is there any way to get my NEF photo files into my iPad Pro? So far, I'm trying to figure out what exactly constitutes the 'Pro' designation of this device. Many thanks.

2. silverblack, Dec 18, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2015

silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

How about putting in "Nef file iPad" in Google as a start? This link pops up for me:
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6119400

it doesn't look like something possible at this point.

As for your comment about the iPad Pro not being 'Pro' enough, here's my take. When I hire a professional company to do my photo editing, I wouldn't pick one that use iPads for the actual editing... may be for displaying the photo to clients.

3. seadragon Contributor

With the large retina touch screen and the new pencil, processing raw photos on the iPad Pro would be amazing. I would definitely buy one at that point. Hopefully, this will become possible.

4. kevroc macrumors 6502

There are a number of ways to get files onto an iPad. Any of the syncing apps, dropbox, onedrive, etc. File management apps, Filebrowser, etc. A NEF file is just a file after all...

5. aw3524 macrumors member

Apple naming convention, mate. MacBook Pro is just a MacBook with better parts; it can't really do anything wholly new.

6. MatthewStorm thread starter macrumors 6502a

MatthewStorm

You are incorrect, my friend. A file is not a file when dealing with the iPad, I'm afraid. I sync my NEF photos thru iPhoto, but they are changed to jpg in the syncing process. I have had some success with Dropbox or Drive, but I can't actually see the photo until I open it in PhotoRaw. Extremely tedious process.

I have a gallery exhibition coming up and I'm trying to process the photos solely on the iPad Pro. But I'm learning it's not going to be easy.

7. john.spirou macrumors member

john.spirou

I can transfer my raw files from my sony a7s to ipad pro via apple sd card reader. I beleive you can do the same wthh yours too

8. kevroc macrumors 6502

Actually, I'm quite correct, a file is a file. There is no refuting that fact.

If you have a nef file on your computer and you have no raw processing software, then you can not manipulate that file. The same goes for the iPad, if you have a file of a specific type, but no software that works with the "type" then you are out of luck. That is not specific to the iPad, that's the way all computers work.

What you are struggling with is how to edit RAW files on your iPad, not how to "put" files on your iPad.

Your questions (and Thread Title) is "How do I get NEF Files on my iPad?". As I said, getting files on your iPad is easy.
    Unfortunately, you didn't ask the right question, which means you are not going to get the right answers.

The right question is "How do I edit NEF files on my iPad?", and the answer to that is Photogene4.

I just transferred a NEF file to my iPad using Dropbox and opened it right up, no problem...

9. john.spirou macrumors member

john.spirou

There are some apps for this job, like pirawnha, photoraw, photogene and mylio....you can try them.
    They can open raw files from sony, try with nef files and see.

I just tried some nef files with photogen and works well.

10. MatthewStorm thread starter macrumors 6502a

MatthewStorm

I did ask the correct question.

I'm looking for a better, less tedious way of getting NEF files onto the iPad Pro OTHER THAN DropBox or Drive. That's an extremely tedious process when I have over 1400 NEF files to sort thru. iPhoto transfers them as jpg not NEF, so there is much data lost. I also am unable to view them in DropBox or Drive until after they are downloaded and opened in PhotoRaw. There I save them at highest quality and proceed with editing. But again, very tedious and hit or miss when I can't see the file I'm downloading.

Apologies if I was unclear with information.

Appreciate all educated comments.

Thanks!

11. toxotis70 macrumors member

toxotis70

as i said , i just used apple sd card reader to put the NEF files to my iPad pro .... no Dropbox , no Cloud.

12. kevroc macrumors 6502

That is a tall order for an iPad. Just putting 1400 files on there is a big hurdle much less browsing, editing, saving, exporting, etc.

I actually don't believe it's even possible.

The SD Card Option and importing them into the camera roll is one option, the only other option I could think of is Lightroom.

I'm not sure if you use Lightroom or not. I do, and find editing on my iPad very convenient. With LR, on your computer, you designate which collections you want to sync, in my case I have all my photos from 2015 in one "collection". That collection is flagged to sync with LR Mobile (the iPad app). On the iPad, when I launch LR, I see that collection pop in, all edits I make are displayed realtime and also synced back to LR on my PC as the master. It's all very seamless and works quite fast. I also have, on my collection on the iPad, "Offline Editing" enabled. So even when I don't have an active connection to LR on my PC it will cache the changes and sync them over the next time I'm online.

I have 1300 photos in my 2015 Folder, so not too far off from yours, and there have been no performance issues at all.

Outside of that, I wouldn't know what to suggest from there...

13. MatthewStorm thread starter macrumors 6502a

MatthewStorm

Outstanding answer. Thank you for your time. I will try this option and let you know if I find anything better. Merry Christmas!

14. pbird macrumors newbie

Mylio works with RAW files. It's the only option I tried that works well for organizing larger batches. I have not tried it with .nef files but it seemed to work ok with Canon raw files I imported with the camera connection kit. Its no full Lightroom on iOS, but it does support most common basic edits. For more then casual use you need a subscription though.

15. MatthewStorm thread starter macrumors 6502a

MatthewStorm

Hey bird, maybe I'm doing something wrong but when I used Mylio, it saved my NEF file at an unacceptable loss. The file went from 41mb to 696kb. Unless I screwed something up that is not something I can use professionally. Have you found this to be the case, as well? Thanks.

16. pbird macrumors newbie

I don't normally use Mylio but I reinstalled Mylio on my pc. I then imported a few Canon CR2 raw files on my iPad through the connection kit and imported them into Mylio. With the default settings, after choosing keep originals in the setup, they appeared on the pc as exact copy's of the original files. I am not sure why it did not work for you.

17. whtrbt7 macrumors 65816

NEF files can also be put into iCloud and they transfer automatically. I use it now to ingest shoots while onsite via SD card reader and then it syncs the RAW files over to a MacBook Pro Retina which then has a script to export the RAWs to a folder and then process via DxO. Realistically, I need DxO for iOS whenever they decide to make it. The iPad Pro is so incredibly close for being able to process RAW files well in the field. Right now, we are stuck using PhotoRAW, Photogene, or Apple RAW which can be very limiting. For browsing a large array of RAW files, I think the only option right now is Dropbox Business but that runs $750 per year. While that isn't crazy expensive for unlimited storage, I might as well take a speed hit and just run an FTP server on my server with a RAID array attached. It's definitely a very different way to work for those that are used to carrying a laptop in the field and have servers in their studios for archiving.

18. john.spirou macrumors member

john.spirou

For raw files i use also Filterstorm neu.... Try it, its very easy and quick. It can export tiffs too.
    Enlight can import raw files too, canon and nikon files are ok, but i have some troubles with sony raw and enlight.

19. MatthewStorm thread starter macrumors 6502a

MatthewStorm

Is anyone using Photogene on the PRO? If so, can you please relate your experience. It hasn't been updated since Sept. of 2014 so it obviously doesn't support the PRO natively. Haven't seen Filterstorm Neu, so will check that out. Thanks.

20. john.spirou macrumors member

john.spirou

I use all of them in pro. Photogene is not optimized for pro but it works nice.
    I do some basic editing and export in tiff to work with any app i want, like enlight or pixelmator.
    Alternatively you can work with filterstorm, it has masks too and very nice denoising.

21. whtrbt7 macrumors 65816

Filter storm neue denoising is only ok IMO. Photogene would be great if they updated it or made a new version. It all basically still works but each app normally only does a few things well. It just seems easier for me to ingest into iCloud Photos, export originals on the MacBook Pro Retina, iMac, or Mac Pro and then run the photos through my presets in DxO Optics Pro and apply Prime denoising through that app. If only DxO made their Optics app for iOS, it would solve a lot of my processing needs while I'm in the field.

22. sparksd macrumors 65816

I just downloaded and tried Filterstorm Neue on my Air 2 and it appears to decode and correctly use my Canon 70D's RAW CR2 file, not just using the embedded JPEG.

23. john.spirou macrumors member

john.spirou

Its fast and accurate too.... In the next version will have undo or history, i miss that a lot.

24. john.spirou macrumors member

john.spirou

Try adobe photoshop express, its wotking with raw files and full resolution export.