.nef

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mac7, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Mac7 macrumors 6502a

Mac7

2. Cliff3 macrumors 65816

Cliff3

You can import it into iPhoto if you want to perform rudimentary edits on it. You can drag it onto Preview if you just want to look at it.

3. avro707, Dec 28, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2010

avro707 macrumors 6502a

You can also use Nikon ViewNX 2.0 to open Nikon Electronic Format files quickly and view the image. I believe it can export to another format from memory, though I've never used it for that. I generally just use it for quickly culling images I don't want.

You must use ViewNX 2.0 however, the earlier version ViewNX 1.0 doesn't play very nice with Snow Leopards...

4. H2Ockey macrumors regular

Iphoto will open a raw file?

.NEF is Nikon Image Format = Nikon's Raw file tag.

If you don't normally use a program like Photoshop, Lightroom, Aperture, etc with RAW handling, the easiest way may be to go to Nikon's website and down load ViewNX. It is free, not very large and will allow viewing, basic editing and file conversion of .NEF files.

5. avro707 macrumors 6502a

Yes, iPhoto does open RAW image formats like Nikon Electronic Format. But ViewNX 2.0 is more convenient and faster for Nikon Electronic Format files.

6. Mac7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mac7

Thanks for the help. Just picked up a Nikon D3100.
    Another quick question, what are the benefits of shooting raw over jpeg? Is the quality better? Would I be able to tell the difference?

7. avro707 macrumors 6502a

Okay, RAW images allow you to change a lot of the image settings later on during the import process (exposure, white balance, etc). Like this:

[​IMG]

That's Photoshop CS5's Camera Raw feature, but other programs that can open RAW files usually allow basic adjustments too.

8. FMJPhoto.com macrumors member

FMJPhoto.com

Without going into too much detail, I'll just say:

Shooting RAW allows you MUCH more flexibility when post processing the images, for example: easy(easier) to fix/change white balance, you can recover most blown highlights (assuming you got reasonably close to the proper exposure to begin with), you can bring out MUCH more detail in shadow areas, and noise reduction effects are more apt to work better with the RAW data than with a jpeg.

There are MANY more reasons to shoot RAW if you value your art, a simple Google search will yield tons of results.

But think of it like this: assuming you have good eyes and a reasonably good monitor, would you trust your images to a camera to do what IT thinks is best, or would YOU rather be able to decide what looks best at full size in front of you?

9. OreoCookie macrumors 68030

OS X 10.6.5 supports NEF files of the D3100, so you don't need any software to view them or do basic edits. Preview, for instance, can open RAW files just fine. However, unless you use specialized software such as Aperture, Lightroom, Adobe Camera RAW or Nikon's own RAW converter, you won't be able to make use of the extra information contained in RAW files. If you use iPhoto, I doubt shooting RAW will be very useful.

RAW files are `digital negatives,' the `raw' data from the image sensor. If you know what you're doing, it can really be beneficial to shoot RAW. If you're a beginner, I'd start shooting jpg and focus on getting the exposure right first. Then you can increase complexity step-by-step. As a rule of thumb (which I made up myself ;)), if you're still using the Scene Modes (landscape, night portrait, etc.), there is no use shooting RAW. I'd start by learning how to use A, S and M as well as changing the ISO consciously.

10. Mac7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mac7

What does ISO and exposure do?