Negative impacts of iPhone's design?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by caspersoong, Apr 14, 2012.

1. caspersoong macrumors 6502a

I am doing a project on iPhone design. What are the negative impacts of iPhone's design on us, the community, and internationally? And what are the negative impacts of jailbreaking on the community and society? Thanks!

2. SteveAbootman macrumors 6502a

SteveAbootman

I think in 15 years society is going to unravel because of the jailbreakers. How dare they use a device the way a company didn't intend for them to use it! It's the first step towards anarchy.

On a more serious note, I don't see anything wrong with the design. It's forced people towards creating things that are easy and simple to use. So i suppose you could say that in the long run, society as a whole will be a bit more confused at how to work complex things.

3. zigzagg321 macrumors 6502

Smart phones overall make us less likely to connect face to face as much. That could be seen as a negative.

4. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I think the most negative impact is that having such easy access to information on your phone will lead users to believe that they don't need to do any work or actual academic research anymore, and can even have other people do their homework for them by posting questions in forums. :)

5. terraphantm macrumors 68040

In some people's eyes, the elimination of hardware keyboards might be seen as a flaw. Not to mention that phones are a lot more delicate than they used to be. And of course more expensive. One negative of the iPhone not related to design is that contract and subsidies became much more common in countries where almost everyone used to buy the phones commitment free. Another is that it forced carriers to eliminate unlimited data since the bandwidth to serve that many people that much data just doesn't exist

The only real negative to jailbreaking is that it indirectly enables piracy (though the act of jailbreaking in and of itself is not piracy). I suppose the constant exploitation of various vulnerabilities also precludes the iPhone from being used in a situation where security is crucial. To be fair, the only reason blackberries didn't get cracked open is because there was no interest.

6. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

1. What aspect of the design? The software or the hardware?
    2. I can't see how jailbreaking negatively impacts the community and society significantly, perhaps if people using pirated apps they are taking developers money, forcing developers to find other jobs as developing iPhone apps isn't so profitable and therefore creating less apps for society to use.

Crappy answers, I know. Problem is the questions don't really sound "right".

7. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

Negative effect on us? Well seeing as it's made of glass on both sides, in the inevitable event I drop it and it shatters, I'm going to turn into a blubbering man-child and cry in public.

8. SHirsch999 macrumors 6502a

Actually I think the ability to text, especially on a massive basis, makes one less likely to interact with the people they are standing next to. Just ask my sister, though she may not hear you over the sound of her hitting the virtual keyboard.

9. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I hope your thesis statement is better constructed than your question.

10. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Owners will become used to having only one button, and one brand new model to choose from at a time. They will lose the ability to make a choice between two or more things.

The idea that you must rebel against authority in order to get basic services will take hold.

This :)