Negative screen is software problem?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ddk121, Sep 24, 2007.

1. ddk121 macrumors 6502

I just got off the phone with Apple support, regarding the ipod touch negative screen issue. They told me it was not a hardware problem, but a software issue, and Apple was issuing an update for it in the near future. Could this be true? Also, I asked , even if this update 'never arrived', would I still be able to exchange it with you within 90 days, as I though the warranty said. He told me 14 days. I am in the UK, is this correct?

2. bogman12 macrumors regular

IT is NOT a software problem but a problem with the optimal viewing angle of the LCD, which is strictly hardware.

3. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

If it's a software problem, how come I don't suffer from the problem. Mine is running V1.1 just like everyone else.

4. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

teerexx52

After 2 weeks Apple said to take mine back. Said it was the video processor. Think I'm going to exchange for a classic instead of a touch.

5. mithykal macrumors regular

It is possible that it is a software problem, I was looking at a thread the other day where if you messed with the contrast (either increase or decrease cant remember which) you could get rid of the problem, so if apple could find a way to update just problem iPods it could be fixed in an update.

6. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Wait... Think about what you are saying. Don't get the Classic.... try one first... they are terrible. The interface is VERY VERY clunky and almost unusable. They're nothing like the 5G iPods. It's like a watered down 5G iPod with a bigger hard drive. My suggestion would be to go use one first to see if you can stand the slow, clunky, jerky, cumbersome, weak interface. I tried one at Best Buy and I didn't like it at all.

7. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

totally agree. Tried one in best buy this weekend (after returning my ipt) and was blown away at how slow and crappy they were...

Really unimpressive

8. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

http://www.marco.org/259 Yeah TOTALLY unimpressed here.

9. ddk121 thread starter macrumors 6502

Funnily enough, the guy that I spoke to said if you increase the contrast 'one notch', the problem goes away. I told him there was no option to adjust the contrast on the touch. IF he is right, this may be what :apple: are doing in the update?

10. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I was under the impression that the most recent software update alleviated the performance issues.

11. mithykal macrumors regular

yeh that possible, I forgot to say the people who messed with the contrast did so in Photoshop and then imported the photos.

12. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I'm simply relaying what I experienced at Best Buy and it wasn't a good experience but, if what you say is true then, I guess it's not so bad. I really love my Touch.

Oh, by the way... did you get yours replaced with a week 38 with a good screen yet?

13. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

teerexx52

Too late. Wife exchanged it out and is coming back with it. Did they update the software on it? Is it really that bad? Would love more feed back on this. Thanks

14. PygmySurfer macrumors 6502

That's a software solution, not a software problem. Basically, you're adjusting contrast levels to hide the flaw.

Personally, I'd rather fix the hardware (or replace the hardware) than try to hide it with software.

15. Quickdood macrumors regular

I'm with you there, the hardware fix is the best, you don't wanna mess with software fixes that are trying to fix hardware problems.