Nehalem 2.93 Quad Or 2.26 Octo For Music/Digital Audio Workstations?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Chocolate Baby, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Chocolate Baby macrumors member

Do Any Of The DAW's Out There Really Utilize 8 Cores? Can Anyone Explain How The Multi-Threaded Apps Work?

2. MCHR macrumors regular

3. dazloe macrumors member

As far as I know Logic 8 can only use 4 cores, but it's the third party plugins and effects that allow you to utilize the other 4 cores. I would recommend going for an 8 core machine if your running lots of tracks W/ plugins and/or using rewire with other DAW's. :)

4. Ploki macrumors 68020

thats a lie. logic can use 8 cores with its builtin effects only :)

edit: i mean with builtin effects ALONE. grammar.

5. Honoue macrumors newbie

You guys should be kidding... really made me register with this forum to correct misinformation.

Logic 8 creates threads for each channel regardless of the number and types (effects, insts, 3rd party/logic plugins) of plugins inserted, and yes it can use 8 cores.

But the current version of Logic seems to have problem with the new nehalem mac pro. Hyperthreading creates 16 virtual cores from the 8 physical cores and Logic's cpu meter shows 16 cores but currently it can use only 8 virtual cores. So you need to wait for the next update of Logic and Leopard.

L8 does use 8 cores on my 08 Mac Pro.
    If you get a Nehalem MP, you'll need to wait.

And even after the updates, it won't be faster than the previous model until Snow Leopard and 64-bit Logic are out. It will take even more time until they become stable and 3rd party plugins become 64bit-compatible. And I'm pretty sure, at that time, there will already be even newer Westmere (Gulftown Xeon) 12-core Mac Pros.

So get the previous model and save some money.

My 2 yen

6. Chocolate Baby thread starter macrumors member

Good to know the Nehalem's new architecture does allow simultaneous threads to one core and 08's did not, however I did not know that Logic and leopard were not ready for that. I posted a thread that was a bit of a sidebar to this one. There is ton's of talk about Logic, where is the Pro Tools threads? I just bought P Tools 8 le and no this is not a &%#! measuring contest between the two, I own and love both for different reasons. However I am not positive if the the issue you stated above is going to affect Pro Tools as well, I have some Waves Plug Ins that without an HD system Kill the CPU, I really am just so tired of debating on which mac pro to get, I might just go in a forest a play acoustic instruments, grow a beard and become a pretentious fraud hippie Like the rest of them.

7. mingus51 macrumors member

Ha! That's the best bet...or record some very untalented post-punk-riff-rock with absolutely no attention to recording quality, mic setup, or anything that people used to go to school for about 10 years ago (anyone see the new Dell ad?!?!?!)...

Nahhhh...I still like playing with quality toys more than I like a quick buck being featured on an Apple ad or a Target commercial (and now Dell...yikes...crap-rock has entered the marketing world...hide your children)

8. Chocolate Baby thread starter macrumors member

CHECK MY NEW THREAD I WENT STRAIGHT TO THE SOURCE AND GOT THE ANSWERS