nehalem case redesign, yes/no?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by squeeks, Jul 20, 2008.

1. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

im not asking if, rather im wondering why people dont think this is when it is

everyone keeps speculating that they will change it with montevina, but we all know that nehalem is bringing a new type of cpu, with the memory controller on board the chip, this will allow for a much smaller logic board, dont you think this will be when the case redesign will be? NOT the update right BEFORE this happens?

like i said in the first line, IM NOT ASKING IF IT WILL BE Nehalem

im just curious why people think it will be with montevina after my specified reasons

2. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

A sense of not wanting to wait to purchase one fuels our hypothesizes ;)

3. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

I guess the reason why many think the redesign will be with Montevina is because of the so called "leaked" MBP case. Now...for some reason I dont think they will use that case and I think that Nehalem will be a huge leap and Apple will redesign their MacBook Pro and MacBook (even the Mini maybe). It seems like (to me atleast) that Apple is just trying new things out and they are trying to find a good new design for the MacBook Pro and are just waiting for the technology to advance (smaller CPU, less heat, better GPU's) before they change the design.

4. squeeks thread starter macrumors 68040

squeeks

this? [​IMG]

how do you see anything in this pic other than the top of the current notebook missing the apple logo and a half sawed off bottom case of who knows what?

5. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Yes, that. I agree with what you are saying. The bottom makes no sense, half of it is missing.

6. squeeks thread starter macrumors 68040

squeeks

exactly

and whats with this?
    [​IMG]

it looks like someone is grasping at straws trying to explain what the missing part is for, but is the world is it going to completely be removed? will there be a crack along where you rest your hand to type? talk about being uncomfortable

7. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

I really dont see why Apple is going to "redesign" the MBP. I can understand changing some ports, moving the battery to make a removable HD, maybe thinner; but I cannot see why they would make a design like the MacBook Air. I think if they make the MBP any thinner, it will be too hot. They should just adjust tiny things and not fully change the design. If they make it look like the MBA I am not selling my MBP.

8. kingcrowing macrumors 6502a

kingcrowing

agreed, I just ordered my MBP on the 12th and I guess its not shipping until monday/tuesday, possibly for financial reporting reasons? possibly for a refresh. I hope its a refresh to centrino 2 but they keep the style, the only thing I'd like is a bigger touchpad liek the air and possibly the same magnet latches as the rest of their laptops.

9. Durious macrumors 6502

Strange, I ordered mine on the 18th and it shipped on the 18. Due this wednesday.

10. .Chris macrumors 6502a

.Chris

Apple logo is NOT missing. its part of the new LED logo. (my guess)

kids, kids kids... They don't have to make it thin to make it like the air. They can take design ques from the air such as the rounded lines, keyboard screen lay out etc. and put it in the pro. but it doesnt mean they will make it super thin...

11. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Rounded edges are just plain ugly, the keyboard is garbage. What I am saying is if they make rounded edges and use that keyboard, it will look like the Air.

12. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

I think we're going to see just a normal speed bump with Montevina and a total redesign with Nehalem. It seems to me that the "prototype" pictures are pretty early in production.

Also, Montevia is pretty much incremental. Nehalem is more of a redesign of the underlying architecture.

GPUs need to be addressed on both, but I think Nehalem will see a huge GPU difference. (possibly with a different physical structure.) It's timed to be around the time of Snow Leopard so that is just added on the cake.

Granted I could be completely wrong. We'll just have to wait and see.

13. iMacmatician macrumors 601

1. It has been rumored by AppleInsider, a reliable rumor site, that the redesign will happen with Montevina.
    2. I know the improvements with Nehalem, but exactly how is a different CPU going to impact the design of the case? How will the IMC impact the design of the case? I haven't heard anything about a smaller logic board, can you fill me in on this?
    3. Now, Montevina, with it's 40% smaller chipset, can impact the case. With the smaller chipset the case can be made slimmer and more tapered… like the Air. Montevina also has the option of 25 W CPUs that would reduce heat.
    4. The iMacs were redesigned with Santa Rosa, and it was not as significant than Montevina (I think).
    5. It's about time!! :D

1. AFAIK, The Nehalem CPU is actually bigger than an equivalent Penryn CPU.
    2. Nehalem will have the same TDPs as Montevina.
    3. Apple seems to upgrade GPUs every other revision. That would mean both Montevina and Nehalem would get an updated GPU (assuming a Q1 2009 update).

14. kingcrowing macrumors 6502a

kingcrowing

I ordered mine from my University store and they do bulk ordering thats why I think it might be for financial reasons or for the update, they might not have been apply to supply enough of the current gen.

15. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

I dont think you are right on this. Penryn is 45nm, Nehalem is also 45nm, but quad core instead of dual core. Nehalem will use anywhere from 45-55W. Penryn (which will be used in Montevina) uses 35W.

16. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

It is possible Apple is re-designing the cases not just for Montevina, but also for Nehalem. The Nehalem mobile CPUs are expected to have TDPs between 35w and 55w, while the Memroms and Penryns are 35W-45W. I do not believe we know what the die size will be, though the transistor count will be higher due to the on-board memory controller.

The current MacBook Pro case was launched with the G4 PPC processor and did not change through the transition to the Core and Core 2 series of processors.

17. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

The photos in question are most likely very old...

18. iMacmatician macrumors 601

Both Penryn and Nehalem (will) have dual-core and quad-core variants.

The Penryn CPU is 35 W, but there's a part of the Montevina chipset that uses 10 W that is integrated onto the Nehalem CPU (at least that's what I think). Therefore 35 W Penryn "=" 45 W Nehalem.

AppleInsider said they were dated. But AI also said that current cases in Apple look very similar to the leaked case.

19. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I think the new MBP will have tapered edge because Apple needs one to cut a bigger cake. :p

20. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

I think the new Mac Book Pro will look the same, just be redefined, and it will come with an apology from Apple confirming Apple's new strategy to cater to the mid and high end professional and not consumers that crave trendy, "cool" looking, toys just to show off to their friends.

Yup, that's what will happen.

21. webberman macrumors newbie

22. TtimeWithTy macrumors member

woot!

23. m1stake macrumors 68000

The montevina board was said to be "25%-40% smaller", which gives them some room to play with. Why wait when your current model could use something new? Truthfully I don't think it'll be unrecognizable compared to current MBP's. Adding MBA tapered edges and a magnetic latch do not redefine the notebook.

The pictures of Nehalem processors show them next to their slot-775 counterparts and they're slightly larger, and would assume that the mobile packaging of the chip will also have to be somewhat larger too. But I would imagine the board will be the same size if not smaller, because that's how technology [usually] works.

24. marvel2 macrumors 6502

I feel a case redesign is coming. This design has been carried on for too long.

25. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

lol sorry but not unless apple takes down the new 2.6 mbp pics on apple.com