nehalem macbook air??? shall i wait???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by billandy, May 12, 2009.

1. billandy macrumors regular

anyone here have any suggestion when might nehalem-powered macbook air possibly hit the market?

currently using a 17" inch 2.33ghz macbook pro that's 2.5 years old. excellent machine with mini-workstation performance and reliability, but its footprint and sheer weight is becoming more and more of an issue to me since my usage model of laptop is going to change soon as i will probably want to carry my laptop everyday and most of the tasks i perform will be much less cpu-intensive.

since i'm going from one extreme of the world to the next, seeking advice from you lot that whether i shall upgrade to the 1.86ghz ssd mba now or hold on for the dunno-when-to-be-introduced nehalem mba. i mean i'm perfectly happy with the machine i'm using right now and unlike most other 2.5-year-old pcs some of my friends are using it never misses a beat and i'm perfectly happy with it, just that it's a shame i cannot practically carry it around very frequently.

i somewhat prefers the wait since the new intel architecture isn't just a simple speed bump and it will make a whole world of difference and work optimally with snow leopard, and i also would like to have 256gb ssd as well... just that i have no idea how long i might have to wait? this fall? next january? march? next october???!!!

any input will be appreciated

2. aleni macrumors 68000

i'll wait and live with the bulky 17" for a little while. it's still a great machine, only weighs a lot more than macbook air. it's not like your back is hurting because of lugging it around. i use UMBP17" and it's not that much weight for a healthy person to lug it around.

just wait for a little while, the wait is gonna be worth it..

3. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...there was just a front page MR article on the mobile chips from Intel... you're looking at least 2010 to be realistic...

4. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

If you can wait till Q1 01, why not? Nehalem will have major speed boosts.

But 2010......That's a whole year!

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

it is a long time! i was hoping to upgrade my MBP to a quad in Q3-2009, but now i have to wait longer :(

by the time apple introduces the quadcore line it will be nearly Q2, if u can wait then wait, if you cant....

6. TheRekz macrumors regular

7. Exegesis48 macrumors regular

I'd wait in the hopes that they integrate 3G into the Macbook Air.

8. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...there are rumors they're working on it:p

9. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I think it's worth a wait to buy any Mac notebook right now. They're all seven months old and usually get updated twice annually. An update should be near.

Lots of great rumors. Although Nehalem is definitely going to be a 2010 deal with Arrandale for the MBA.

10. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

If your 17" is doing the job for you now, continue to use it until that's no longer the case. Consider a speck hard shell to protect your mbp and a better quality backpack to help lug it around until the quads come out.

11. billandy thread starter macrumors regular

thanks folks! probably gonna be prepared not to upgrade until early 2010 and that's gonna be nearly a whole year of wait. nevertheless i hope it's worth the long wait and we'll see now macbook like performance on the macbook air with nehalem architecture.

guess i'm just a little tempted since many of friends around me are upgrading to the unibody macbook(pro). still you guys are right to say that a 2.5-year-old top specs macbook pro is probably just like a 5-year-old bmw 5-series, nothing to go wrong in the foreseeable future...

so... the wait's on....

but, still, HURRY UP INTEL!!!