Nehalem

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by NSNick, Jun 30, 2008.

1. NSNick macrumors regular

Is it worth waiting for Nehalem to buy a Mac Pro and a Macbook Pro?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Check the sig. I am for both. I am because I can, and because I believe in the performance increase.

If you need it now, buy it now. If you can wait, do. They're already more powerful than you need.

3. NSNick thread starter macrumors regular

4. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

here's some specs on Performance and power improvements

It has been reported that Nehalem will have a focus on performance, which accounts for the increased core size.[10] Compared to Penryn, Nehalem will have:
    1.1x to 1.25x the single-threaded performance or 1.2x to 2x the multithreaded performance at the same power level
    30% lower power usage for the same performance
    According to a preview from AnandTech "expect a 20 - 30% overall advantage over Penryn with only a 10% increase in power usage. It looks like Intel is on track to delivering just that in Q4."[11]
    Compared to a 3.0 GHz Core-based "Clovertown" microprocessor, the Nehalem-EP "Gainestown" processor will have 1.6x the SPECint_rate2006 integer performance and 2.4x the SPECfp_rate_2006 floating-point performance.[10]
    Bloomfield systems will have a theoretical memory bandwidth of up to 38.4 GB/s using triple-channel 1600 MHz DDR3.[12] In experiments with a pre-release 2.93 GHz Bloomfield, AnandTech measured 12.0 GB/s copy bandwidth using triple-channel 1066 MHz DDR3, against 6.9 GB/s using dual-channel 1066 MHz DDR3 on a 3.0 GHz Core 2 Quad system.[13]
    Overclocking Nehalem processors will only be possible with the X58 chipset. The mainstream PCH will not be capable of overclocking unless a hardware mod is found.[14][15]