Neither POP nor IMAP emails will push to the iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BGTHEMOGUL, Oct 18, 2011.

1. BGTHEMOGUL macrumors 6502

After a lot of research and time on the phone with Apple it's now clear that neither POP nor IMAP emails will "push" to the iPhone. They can only be used in the "fetch" mode either by timer setting or manually.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2625?viewlocale=en_US

Just wanted to share this as there was misinformation going around and I was given misinformation when I asked about this problem earlier and was told they could push to the iPhone.

Only Yahoo, Microsoft Exchange and MobileMe emails will push.

2. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

They work if you set them up as exchange, such as gmail.

3. b24pgg macrumors 65816

True, but you can set up lots of popular web-based email as Exchange, such as Gmail and Hotmail.

4. BGTHEMOGUL thread starter macrumors 6502

Correct I should have specified this is for those people like myself who have their own company or business emails at their own domains and were looking for the "push" email delivery.

For example yourname@yourdomain.com

5. b24pgg macrumors 65816

What server does your business use for its email domain? If it uses Google Apps you can set it up as Exchange...

6. BGTHEMOGUL thread starter macrumors 6502

Our email server is 1and1.com which is our web hosting company where our domains are located.

7. b24pgg macrumors 65816

1and1 offers Exchange I believe

8. BGTHEMOGUL thread starter macrumors 6502

You're right they do I just saw that on their website. It's an extra $6.99 per month but I'll gladly pay that if it will give me true "push" email.

Do you know if I buy the Microsoft Exchange if I can strictly use that setting for my iPhone and still use the regular POP settings for my Macbook Pro or would I need to change my Macbook Pro settings as well?

9. b24pgg macrumors 65816

That'll work...you won't need to change your Macbook Pro settings. You can have it set up as Exchange on your phone and POP on your laptop :)

10. FredV macrumors member

FredV

I have my own business email, but its through yahoo, so it pushes.

I think...

11. BGTHEMOGUL thread starter macrumors 6502

Ouch just noticed they charge $6.99 per month per email. I thought the $6.99 covered all of your emails at first. That can get expensive having multiple emails. Thanks for the help!