Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheRealPorkchop

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2010
Whiteville, NC
I was. In my 1,1 for almost 5 years. I bought 16gb off Amazon about 5 years ago, put it in my Mac and tested them with the equivalent of Memtest86. Set it to loop about a dozen times and I never got any errors.

There's only a couple of companies that actually make ram chips so you'd be surprised at what ram uses the same chips from the same companies.

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
Switched to NEMIX two years ago, they run at 59*C and couldn't be happier, no need to boost the fans but I do that also to keep fans at 800 rpm.

667 will work and slightly cheaper on Amazon, 4GB 800MHz more expensive so if you don't need more than 16GB. Filling all DIMM slots in a 2008 can more than make up for small 4% difference too.

westrock2000

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
I was. In my 1,1 for almost 5 years. I bought 16gb off Amazon about 5 years ago, put it in my Mac and tested them with the equivalent of Memtest86. Set it to loop about a dozen times and I never got any errors.

There's only a couple of companies that actually make ram chips so you'd be surprised at what ram uses the same chips from the same companies.

I bought used server memory off of eBay and have had no problems. Got 2x4GB of FB-DIMM's for $10 total. Looks like they are closer to $20 now though.

wildbk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2015
I bought used server memory off of eBay and have had no problems. Got 2x4GB of FB-DIMM's for $10 total. Looks like they are closer to $20 now though.

I was looking at this but wasnt sure what would and wouldnt work. Do you see an example on ebay of the above?

----------

Switched to NEMIX two years ago, they run at 59*C and couldn't be happier, no need to boost the fans but I do that also to keep fans at 800 rpm.

667 will work and slightly cheaper on Amazon, 4GB 800MHz more expensive so if you don't need more than 16GB. Filling all DIMM slots in a 2008 can more than make up for small 4% difference too.

Thanks!

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
Buying server FBDIMMs is often chance and luck, at least it isn't smething that always works. And there are and have been users that managed to get 8GB DIMMs that worked, 4x8GB worked then added another set of 4.

I think the Nemix is excellent. And the presence of RAM heat sinks was essential due to poor air flow, the location of the memory Riser cage, and these things run hot and old FBDIMMs use to hit high 70'sC which would eventually cause errors or failure.

Apple even found that they got hotter during sleep or shutdown when fans stopped. Recommended waiting 10-15 minutes to let them gradually cool before opening the side door to avoid cool air shock hitting FBDIMMs.

Monitoring temps FBDIMMs is important, esp. at first and keep them below 70*

smallpotato

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2015
Nemix Ram in Mac Pro 1,1

I've been running 3x4gb of Nemix Ram in my 2006 Mac Pro with no problems. At first when I got it however, it displayed as 11gb. To fix this, I simply shut down and re-seated the ram. The problem just went away. As for speed, Novabench has been consistently giving my 667mhz ram speeds upwards of 3gb/s. Overall great for the price, and great overall. My only complaint is the packaging is a bit skimpy, but amazon delivered it just fine.

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
I've been running 3x4gb of Nemix Ram in my 2006 Mac Pro with no problems. At first when I got it however, it displayed as 11gb. To fix this, I simply shut down and re-seated the ram. The problem just went away. As for speed, Novabench has been consistently giving my 667mhz ram speeds upwards of 3gb/s. Overall great for the price, and great overall. My only complaint is the packaging is a bit skimpy, but amazon delivered it just fine.
First I have heard of anyone. The ABM memory controller is setup for matched pairs so you have an empty slot (A1:A2 filled and A3 or B1 with just one DIMM)
For the price today, I would still fill that one slot.

smallpotato

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2015
First I have heard of anyone. The ABM memory controller is setup for matched pairs so you have an empty slot (A1:A2 filled and A3 or B1 with just one DIMM)
For the price today, I would still fill that one slot.

That was probably why it displayed as 11gb, and it probably reconsiled the issue when it restarted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.