Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RMD68

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2007
I have a 2.5 G5 PowerMac and I thought of an interesting idea. I've seen computers like the Alienware, etc. that have neon's built in to the casing. I think it gives it an interesting accent. In the case of the G5 I thought it would be nice to see a blue glow coming through the little holes in the front and the back of the computer. Also what would further enhance this would be a clear side panel. I've heard of that mentioned but I don't know if anyone makes it. What I'm asking is if any has heard of or attempted putting neon's in and if there's any where to read up on this. Feedback is greatly appreciated.

I'd like to state I'm not trying to make my G5 ghetto or anything like that :eek: I just think the colors would go well together if done right.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I wouldn't.

But if you decide to it's pretty straightforward - they are just lights, after all. Once you've found space with the proper clearance installation should be simple.

RMD68

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2007
one example that might give you ideas: http://www.macmod.com/content/view/142/194/

Wow that looks really cool! However, it looks dificult with my limited electrical "no how." I'd probably break my poor G5:eek: . It seems the guy in the pic was able to get a clear side panel or was he just showing pics with the side off. If he did have one does anyone know where to get an after-market clear side panel for a PowerMac. Also, do you think it would be possible to skip all the wiring inside the computer. For instance I could mount the neons inside the PowerMac and then power it externally. Just a thought.

product26

Cancelled
May 30, 2005
Wow that looks really cool! However, it looks dificult with my limited electrical "no how." I'd probably break my poor G5:eek: . It seems the guy in the pic was able to get a clear side panel or was he just showing pics with the side off. If he did have one does anyone know where to get an after-market clear side panel for a PowerMac. Also, do you think it would be possible to skip all the wiring inside the computer. For instance I could mount the neons inside the PowerMac and then power it externally. Just a thought.

i have seen the side panel. one even had a 'G5' etched in to it. But i cant seem to find it now.

There are neons that will plug directly in to a molex connector, no real wiring involved.

RMD68

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2007
i have seen the side panel. one even had a 'G5' etched in to it. But i cant seem to find it now.

There are neons that will plug directly in to a molex connector, no real wiring involved.

"I see, said the blind man."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.