Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cassini007

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 6, 2014
I am running Yosemite beta 3, and Microsoft Office 2011 simply crashes on launch. So I switched over to LibreOffice for now, but there are a few things that I don't much care for about the interface, especially how it looks on the Mac.

My understanding is that NeoOffice delivers almost the same set of features as LibreOffice, and also sports a native Mac interface. But, unlike LibreOffice, NeoOffice costs $30 on the Mac App Store.

If anyone uses NeoOffice, would you recommend it as a MS Office / LibreOffice alterantive? Thanks.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Personally, i'd avoid these clowns on principle - they feel its OK to take massive amounts of code from openoffice and then charge for fully functional binaries and they do not even contribute anything back upstream.

As a final kick in the nuts, they have the source online (to appear to comply with the GPL), but either their build instructions or source tree are hopelessly broken (probably on purpose).

If i was not using office on the Mac I would 100% be using LibreOffice.

LibreOffice can be made to look quite a bit better using their flat icon set

157970-1.png

Last edited:

cassini007

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 6, 2014
Personally, i'd avoid these clowns on principle - they feel its OK to take massive amounts of code from openoffice and then charge for fully functional binaries and they do not even contribute anything back upstream.

As a final kick in the nuts, they have the source online (to appear to comply with the GPL), but either their build instructions or source tree are hopelessly broken (probably on purpose).

157970-1.png

Good to know, thanks. I thought 30 bucks was a lot for open source software, and if I remember correctly it used to be only 10...

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'd stick with LibraOffice. I really don't see the advantage to NeoOffice. I've used OpenOffice, NeoOffice and LibraOffice. They all are decent and do a good job, I can't see spending 30 bucks for NeoOffice when LibraOffice does a good job

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken

157970-1.png

As a once-supporter of NeoOffice, I am in agreement with what you said.

exegete77

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
I had used NeoOffice for a few years. But when they began charging, I thought, ok,OK, I can support them. But the kicker was that you couldn’t ask questions on their forums unless you had paid the “free” cost of NeoOffice. I quit using, and by that time OpenOffice/LibreOffice was beginning to work much better.

My primary writing tools are Scrivener, Nisus Writer Pro, and Mellel. I keep LibreOffice and OpenOffice up-to-date for any cross platform work.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.