NeoOffice vs Other Suites

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by stockcerts, Dec 1, 2010.

1. stockcerts macrumors 65816

I am using NeoOffice and for the most part I've been happy with it, especially considering it's free. However, I have had a few compatibility issues when sending a doc to a Word user. I am considering buying the iWorks as it's much less expensive than MS Office.

Just curious as to what others are using for office productivity, and which one they find to be the most compatible, without actually using MS office.

Thanks!

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Pages is a great little application. [It is not a suite. Pages, Numbers, and Keynote together comprise the iWork suite.] You must understand this if you want to avoid frustration and, possibly wasted money: Pages is Pages. It is not a Word substitute. Pages can read and write Word files. It can do this very well. However, it does so as a convenience to its users; not as its primary purpose.

If your primary purpose is to write and write Word documents, then I suggest that you purchase Word or the entire Office suite. This is not to say that Microsoft's products guarantee compatibility because it is not true. There have been times when NeoOffice was able to open Word files that Word could not handle. However, Word is the first choice for Word-compatibility.

Bottomline: Define your needs. Acquire the tools that best meet your needs.