NeoOffice

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by stockcerts, Sep 27, 2007.

1. stockcerts macrumors 65816

I just downloaded Neoffice a few days ago and so far I am impressed. Along with the initial install script, I downloaded the suggested patch.

I haven't had a chance to thoroughly use it yet, but so far it has been working well, and has a nice interface. I have saved some of my word processing files in Word format and my MS Office suite at work recognized the files, and retains all formatting.

I was wondering if any of you are using it, or thoughts you may have on using this product as opposed to some of the commercial office suites.

2. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

I find Microsoft Office to be a better interface and more refined product. But you pay for the difference, so if you're happy with Neoffice, I'd say you've found your office suite.

3. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I use Pages 08 mainly, but love NeoOffice when I need it :)

4. Mac In School macrumors 65816

I switch it up between NeoOffice and MS Office. Neither dazzles me.

The Apple one is okay. I love Pages, but Numbers gives me all kinds of problems when importing data. I test-drove it, but didn't buy it.

5. grafikat macrumors 6502a

grafikat

What is nice is the ability to open Access files, something you can't do with Office.

6. BlakTornado Guest

BlakTornado

I tried my Office trial once and immediately uninstalled it.

But I've been using my iWork trial for 16 days now! I just need money to buy the full thing! haha.

7. Fiveos22 macrumors 65816

Fiveos22

It retains a good deal of the formatting, but over the course of the past two years using NeoOffice I have had some problems. From time to time I reassure someone that, yes Macs are actually completely compatable with PCs in the work environment, only to have a document open with goofy looking bullets. The mistakes are never mission critical mistakes, but they're small inconsistencies that just shouldn't happen.

That said, NeoOffice is probably the best OSX desktop publishing suite for its price. We'll see what OOo looks like when they finally turn out an Aqua port.

8. quovadis macrumors regular

quovadis

I started off with OpenOffice for mac, hated the x11 requirement, moved to NeoOffice, saw it improve tremendously over the last 9 months or so, but still it felt so "unMac"

Have been using iWork 08 since August and love it. Haven't "had to" revert to NeoOffice for anything so far.

9. stockcerts thread starter macrumors 65816

The current release (which is new) does make use of Aqua. You may want to try it again. I am new so I can't compare it to previous releases, but it truely feels like a commercial Mac native application.

10. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I personally hate X11, and NeoOffice is fantastic...

11. Chrystal Ocean macrumors member

Very similar to my experience. Was a PC user only until four weeks ago, then switched to Mac. Had used M$ Office (for PCs) exclusively until then. Didn't like OO with X11, much prefer NeoOffice, but some things are wonky and I miss certain features - e.g., Word (for PCs, don't know about Mac version) let you add the word tool to the toolbar. That's useful if you're writing things like abstracts or proposals that have word- or character-count restrictions.

However, one can't really complain since it's OO and NeoOffice are FREE, and improvements are happening all the time.

12. Fiveos22 macrumors 65816

Fiveos22

They're getting there, but not yet. I think they're planning on a native OS X by 3.0, next fall.

13. Tumeg101 macrumors 6502a

Tumeg101

quick question about NeoOffice... does it have a built in spell check?

14. stockcerts thread starter macrumors 65816

The new version of Neo makes use of the existing spell checker on your Mac...it works well, I know as I'm a terribal speller! ;)

15. saud macrumors newbie

Arabic text on neoffice

For those who use Arabic text on mac. Finally, you have a software that would open Arabic MS office documents with formats on the the mac platform. Forget the the crab of MS office 2004 for mac. Even better, it is FREE, specially for those who need it only to extract the text and copy the format to use it on other softwares..
    Make sure to download the patches and the Arabic pack!! it is just wonderfull