Neotiating with Apple...?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cam3ron, Jan 31, 2008.

1. cam3ron macrumors newbie

Hey everyone, has anyone ever tried negotiating with Apple to try to reduce the price of a macbook or anything, and succeeded? I am in the market for a new computer and I would love to get a macbook. I qualify for an educational discount, I was thinking I would try to get the price lower, maybe they will honor the strong dollar (Canadian)? I guess my question is, does anyone think the price of a macbook negotiable? (P.S. It's not that im some super cheap dude, I need a new computer, and I have an assignment for a class where I have to try to negotiate a non-negotiable...I figured better a macbook than a Gap sweater)

2. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

This isn't a used car dealership. The price they set is the price you pay. There's no negotiating. :rolleyes:

3. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

You have a better chance of getting struck by lightning than talking the price down on a new Mac.

4. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

Maybe if you were to buy in bulk, say 100, you might get one free or something.

I know it's more exciting getting a discout on a macbook, but for the sake of the assignment, I'd aim for a small independant store rather than a large corporate chain.

5. cam3ron thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick replies. Never wanted to compare it to a used car dealership....It was just an inquiry. It would be interesting to see if anyone has done it though.

6. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I think it's worth a shot. For instance, you get .Mac at a discount when you buy a new Mac, but I've known people to get the discounted price in a store without it. Not quite the scale of a Macbook, but it's worth a shot. If you could find out what business discounts you will be eligible for upon graduation you could press to get that instead of the education discount, for example.

As a class exercise I think it would be interesting.

7. Brianstorm91 macrumors 65816

Brianstorm91

If you make your order by phone the salespeople can often offer you a discount (it's not huge) on top of a student discount.
    Mine offered me £30 off + student discount.

8. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

this was very ambitious.
    oh well stranger things have....
    never mind no they havent

9. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

um how is it strange? you can negotiate anything. just most people dont

10. Vis macrumors newbie

Well, I had a friend buy a top of the line Pro and Display at the Apple store in Houston and they did drop the price for him when it came time to sell. Stranger things have happened, might as well try.

11. cam3ron thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks again for all the insight. I do agree with Vis in that everything is negotiable...people just don't ask. I think I may actually give it a shot. I know it does sound ridiculous but hey, maybe the throw in Applecare or something extra....you'll never know if you never try right?

12. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Do your thing man, but in this case I'm pretty sure I do know without trying. Try and get a picture of the guys face when you ask, I wanna see the :confused: on his face.

13. CallsignBaron macrumors member

I new a guy, who new a guy, who new this girls cousin who talked this other guy down about $50.00 on a MacBook at an Apple Flea Market kiosk, so you never know dude. I say go for it!!! :D

14. BlueZombie macrumors newbie

It never hurts to try. If I didn't buy my refurb iMac online, I would go to my local apple store and try to get it for as cheap as possible, or try to get something out of it like a free .mac account etc. Why not...

15. dwright1974 macrumors 6502

dwright1974

So I got a discount, not my cousin, or my cousins cou... ;)

The price in the UK of a midrange MacBook is £830.

I was going to buy it online from Apple but converted it to a quote at the last minute, (long story short, I really wanted to get it from John Lewis in the UK because they offered a free 2-yr warranty but they were out of stock).

The next day, an Apple rep phoned me and asked if I wanted to order the MacBook I'd saved. I explained why I hadn't bought it because of the 2-yr warranty. He said he would look in to it and email me a quote through.

Sure enough, 10 minutes later I got a quote from him for the MacBook + AppleCare + iWorks 08 for £799, £30 cheaper than the MacBook alone. Needless to say I bought it.

So discounts can be had and you might want to consider trying the 'quote' route.

HTH

- D

16. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

worth a try

If you call the Apple store for education you'll have much better luck. A couple years back, I was looking at a PowerMac tower and a 23" Cinema Display. The phone rep was willing to give me a $400 discount below educational pricing. Unfortunately, my funding fell thru and I didn't get it.

17. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

The worse thing they can say is no. Give it a shot and let us know how it went.

18. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I knew that someone would say they knew a story about this sort of thing. ;)
    (couldn't resist)

19. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I am bad at sales and worse at haggling outside my day to day job. Someone once mentioned something about getting some EDU discount without being a student as a sort of way to make up for some price adjustment that occurred months before. This all happened at an Apple retail store so I guess it is certainly worth a try. I'm a wuss and I would pay double the sticker if it meant I didn't have to deal with the conflict. Now while I am at work I'm an entirely other person and I usually get my way...it's odd. ;)

20. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Try it at the gas station first. Offer the $.04 less per gallon based on volume.

21. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

my dad ordered 5MBP baseline for his work

they have him 5 free bluetooth mice and 5 iwork installed

22. munnstermac macrumors newbie

Quote from an apple genius, "Apple is not in the slightest a charitable store." Although their compensation packages are usually pretty good if you have a good enough argument. In an ironic situation you will get a couple of faulty CPU's and in theory you could claim on it if you so wished. Not quite negotiating but a way of getting more money off. :)

23. spamdumpster macrumors 6502a

I got 10 percent off a 20" 2.4 GHz iMac just for asking. However, it was at Bestbuy, not the Apple store.

Still $150 off ain't bad.