Nepal struck by huge earthquake

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by JamesMike, Apr 25, 2015.

1. JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

2. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Saw this on the news earlier, it looks really bad over there. Fortunately the one person I know in Nepal is safe.

4. Middleman-77 macrumors member

Yeah a friend of mine have some friends there and are still waiting for their response (can't contact them since the earthquake possibly due to the phone lines being damaged or busy). Appalling tragedy, hope it doesn't get worse...

5. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Wow, and it triggered an avalanche on Mt. Everest which killed and stranded more.

6. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

7. JamesMike thread starter macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

8. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

The videos that are coming out are pretty shocking to say the least. I have been in several earthquakes and seeing the footage from the backyard cameras is amazing. The amount of shaking you see! :eek: And now there is video of the avalanche at Mt. Everest.

9. eko91 macrumors regular

prayers go out to Nepal

This is horrible! 7.8 earthquake?? Imagine the aftershocks... I wonder how long this earthquake lasted for.... I really do hope that the families / friends are able to find each other in this chaos. Cause I'm sure the students were at school and some parents were prob outside working!

10. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/us20002926#general_summary

11. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Landslide in some places, avalanche on Everest (already mentioned)..

From some reports, they felt it as far west as Lahore (Pakistan), as far east as Dhaka (Bangladesh), and as far south as Chennai (India).

As sad as this sounds, the 7.8 could have been worse, and could still be worse, according to the Earth Observatory in Singapore.

http://www.npr.org/2015/04/28/40273...-that-a-huge-quake-could-strike-the-himalayas

There's only one airport anywhere near the base camp at Everest, and it's slapped up against the side of a mountain, and the runway slopes uphill at that; If it was damaged, the only way to get help to them there is by pack mule.

BL.

12. JamesMike thread starter macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

13. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

That's about as much a we or any other country will be able to do, short of quick ferry runs in nothing bigger than a B737, A319, or A320, as Katmandu's airport is damaged enough that no heavy aircraft could land or depart there. That severely limits how much in aid and supplies can be delivered.

BL.

14. Scepticalscribe, May 12, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2015

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Apparently, today, a second powerful earthquake - of magnitude 7.3 (compared with the earthquake of three weeks ago, in western Nepal, which was 7.8) has struck eastern Nepal.

15. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

And that was the aftershock.. :eek:

BL.

16. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

From what I've seen this was a separate earthquake. You don't get that big of an aftershock this long after.

17. JamesMike thread starter macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

18. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Hopefully they did NOT land.

I know what you mean, but the last thing you want is to have any aircraft land during an earthquake. The last earthquake that hit the San Francisco area, every aircraft on final to SFO did a go-around and either went into a holding pattern or diverted until the runways could be inspected.

So yes, I hope they made it somewhere safe, but I also hope they didn't land while the earthquake was occurring.

BL.

19. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Well FWIW, USGS considers it an aftershock, although I don't know precisely how they define one.

link