Nervous about jailbreaking

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by porcupine8, Mar 26, 2011.

1. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

I'd love to have real filesystem access as well as VLC on my iPad, but when i think about JBing, all that comes to mind is people bricking their iPhones.

It sounds like JBing an iPad is fairly safe as long as you're careful about what apps you use and about installing updates. For the most part, can you eventually install most iOS updates without much risk (if you take the right steps)?

Honestly, what are the biggest risks of JBing an iPad? As much as I want the benefits, I can't afford a new one if I were to do anything irreversible to this one.

2. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

In 4 years, I have read zero accounts of an actual bricking. I have however, read countless overly dramatic stories of botched jailbreaks requiring a simple restore. People over/mis use the word brick almost as much as "fail".

3. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

People brick iPhones because they are trying to unlock it and have to mess with the baseland. Theres really no risk in simply jailbreaking. Worse thing that can happen is you have to reset and restore. As far as iOS updates go, if you update, you lose your jailbreak. The jailbreak for 4.3 has not been publicly released yet and the tethered version that is out now is crap so wait for a public release of a 4.3 untethered jailbreak, or downgrade to 4.2.1 (if you saved your SHSH blobs) and jailbreak with Greenpois0n.

4. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

As for as I know, it's extremely unlikely for someone to brick an iPhone or iOS device. You can certainly mess up during the process if you are careless, but you would just have to restore it or go into DFU mode. So I wouldn't be afraid.

5. Dav1 macrumors 6502

The biggest risk is you'll follow the advise of a jerk that doesn't even have an iPad, and believes he has all the answers..., in my opinion.

The iPad depends on flash memory, and flash memory has a limited number of write cycles, there is always a possibility that any memory upgrade will brick your device, but Apple uses pretty darn good flash memory, and I've yet to do it in over four years of jail breaking...

I will acknowledge it is not for everyone, and there is some risk involved. I've been convinced that I've bricked my unit more than once, yet I've always managed to recover it. Part of that just depends on how stubborn one is. How well one can read and follow directions.

Ideally you have a friend who can help you jailbreak the first time, kind of walk you through it, but even without such a friend it is possible to do it without issues.

6. Davewithak macrumors regular

I'm basically jailbreaking for the multitouch gestures, since I'm on a Windows and can't use xcode.

7. Dav1 macrumors 6502

Then be sure to jailbreak with Sn0wBreeze 2.3b4 and not 2.3b1~2 as they give less than the best user experience. iH8sn0w.com for some reason seems to have issues with the correct link to Sn0wBreeze 2.3b4 when you use IE9/8 and often points to just Sn0wBreeze 2.3b2 :(

8. MrSadier macrumors newbie

9. Silent Assassin macrumors member

It's definitely possible to mess up the jailbreak, but dam near impossible to brick your iPad...

you can always do a factory restore... and when you can't (meaning you bricked it), and you're still within your warranty, just take it back to the Apple Store and get another..

if you can't restore it, they won't be able to either.. ;) :apple:

not right then and there, so they'll give you another iPad for you to go home and try to jailbreak all over again... or your experience will have scared your desire to jailbreak right out of you...