Nervous about jailbreaking..

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by iCanStopTime, Aug 3, 2010.

1. iCanStopTime macrumors newbie

Hello,

Before I begin I would like to say I am quite good with this sort of thing so its not a matter of not knowing what to do etc..

I have the iPhone 4 and i recently learned that I can jailbreak it with jailbreakme.com so I'm considering doing it as I know the benifits outweigh the risks but I am worried...

• I know it voids my warrenty but what if the phone is so buggered that it wont even turn on?
    • I DO however have phone insurance from Orange (UK) so would that be void if I mess with the software?

So overall I'm just worried about the fact that if I jailbreak then something goes wrong and totally murders the phone I'll have to pay for the replacement and I don't really have £400 to do so..

What should I do?

Many thanks in advance

Tom

2. doolin.nc macrumors member

It won't be that bugged. I've never heard of a completely bricked iPhone from JBing. The chances of something genuinely going wrong BEYOND the ability to restore is about 1 in 2 million.

Probably. But you could always read your coverage limitations and terms of use. Keep in mind that restoring will get rid of any trace of JBing. At least, they wouldn't dig to find out if it's even possible.

3. bigred7078 macrumors 6502a

bigred7078

it's not going to break your phone. If you have issues, just make sure you did a backup before jailbreaking and you can restore from backup. It only voids your warranty if you take it to apple that way(jailbroken). If you have an issue with your phone and need to take it to the apple store, just restore from backup and *poof* the jailbreak is gone and you will have your warranty.

If you download something that causes your iPhone to become totally unresponsive then just put it into DFU mode and all will be well again.

4. bmms8 macrumors 68020

your phone wont ever turn into a dud. if something goes wrong via major user error, restore through itunes and no one will no it was jailbroken

5. Gmas macrumors member

1. From what I've read on here, it is now practically impossible to ruin a phone by jailbreaking. Worst case is you just have to restore it back.

2. The insurance would almost definitely be void if the problem was due to jailbreaking. But as mentioned, there's really no problem that should arise that you can't fix or reset yourself.

6. psywzrd macrumors 68030

This is not true. Restoring from a jailbroken backup will still leave remnants of the jb on your phone. The only way to get rid of all traces is to do a restore and then set it up as new.

7. doolin.nc macrumors member

He probably means a pre-JB backup.

8. bigred7078 macrumors 6502a

bigred7078

bingo

9. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

everything stated above is true....but lets say you are the 1 in 2 million figure.....well if you cant get it to work then neither can they! so your warranty will still be intact!

10. Olivia23 macrumors 6502a

Olivia23

I was nervous also about jailbreaking. I was going to wait a few weeks or so to do it, but I kept reading all these threads about how happy people were and the things they could now do with their iPhone that I decided to go ahead and do it.

I worked a 12 hour shift last night and got off work at 7am this morning. On a whim I just decided to go on and jailbreak. The whole process took about 10 minutes. The first time, it didn't work and got hung on the "sit tight" screen for a while. Then I had to research why it was doing that and found out I needed to go to jailbreakme.modmyi.com instead of just jailbreakme.com, but then I got the message that my phone was already jailbroken. Sure enough, Cydia was there so even though it hung on the sit tight screen and never cleared itself out, it was still jailbroken.

I am now enjoying my phone like it should have been enjoyed.