Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LSUtiger7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2011
Quite frankly I am completely frustrated with the software that comes on PC especially Windows, it is complete garbage. I am nervous however to make the switch to an iMac27. I already have an iPhone 3GS and plan on getting the new 5 if it comes out on Tuesday. I also plan on getting some sort of tablet albeit the iPad 3 or the Kindle Fire (apples and oranges I know). I figure I might as well get the entire ecosystem if I get the iMac and once the iPad 3 comes out I will scoop it up. The only problem that I see is that I live in fairly rural area and the nearest Apple store is 3.5 hours away. So what do I do if I need to have service on my products do I have to drive the 3.5 hours? Secondly, PCs are so familiar to me it is slightly unnerving thinking of changing although I complete despise the software. Anyone have any words of encouragement? TIA

radicalcentrist

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2008
Portland, OR
lots of questions

First, for the reassurance. Even though they're wildly different animals, there will be a comfortable feeling using your Mac for the first time since you have an iPhone. It's surprising how that transition feels natural.

Second, the biggest thing (for me at least, after using PCs exclusively for almost 20 years) was getting used to Command vs Control for keyboard shortcuts. That took a couple weeks.

If, on the rare occasion something does go wrong, you can also call Apple and find out if there's an authorized repair shop closer than 3.5 hours away.

Good luck!

Spike88

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
Back in mind 2010, I ordered the iMac 21.5" via Apple Internet store. Bought it via credit card and 14 days later, it arrived on my front door via global courier. Plugged it in and its was immediate keeper. No flaws at all. And, its been solid since then.

I read of other folks who exchanged their iMac 3-10 times. Over and over, they would get yellow screens, clicking HDDs and other problems (like hairs under the screen plate).

Perhaps I'm lucky. Or, perhaps they are unlucky?

Hope this helps - somehow...

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Quite frankly I am completely frustrated with the software that comes on PC especially Windows, it is complete garbage. I am nervous however to make the switch to an iMac27. I already have an iPhone 3GS and plan on getting the new 5 if it comes out on Tuesday. I also plan on getting some sort of tablet albeit the iPad 3 or the Kindle Fire (apples and oranges I know). I figure I might as well get the entire ecosystem if I get the iMac and once the iPad 3 comes out I will scoop it up. The only problem that I see is that I live in fairly rural area and the nearest Apple store is 3.5 hours away. So what do I do if I need to have service on my products do I have to drive the 3.5 hours? Secondly, PCs are so familiar to me it is slightly unnerving thinking of changing although I complete despise the software. Anyone have any words of encouragement? TIA

No need to be nervous (even though I was at first too). Macs can do everything a PC can, including running Windows if you need a particular piece of software that is only for Windows.

I work in IT fixing Windows servers and desktops for a living and I switch to Mac three years ago and haven't looked back. Macs work extremely well and I haven't had a single problem with any of them.

As for your devices, it is nice being under one ecosystem since everything works really nice together. This becomes apparent if you are a big multitasker. I can watch training videos on my desktop, then switch them to my iPad if I go to the kitchen to make something, and then stream it to my Apple TV if I want to watch it in the living room. Its simple stuff like that I take for granted until I think about it.

Theres a lot more I could mention but I've been working for 20 hours straight so I'm off to bed.

----------

Back in mind 2010, I ordered the iMac 21.5" via Apple Internet store. Bought it via credit card and 14 days later, it arrived on my front door via global courier. Plugged it in and its was immediate keeper. No flaws at all. And, its been solid since then.

I read of other folks who exchanged their iMac 3-10 times. Over and over, they would get yellow screens, clicking HDDs and other problems (like hairs under the screen plate).

Perhaps I'm lucky. Or, perhaps they are unlucky?

Hope this helps - somehow...

Generally those types of people are either A. Lying, B. Overly picky and look for flaws (any product will have flaws if you look for it) or C. and extremely unlucky individual (but this is rare, its usually the first two).

TheSideshow

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2011
First I would try doing a clean install of Windows 7 and seeing if you like your PC better. I think most PC frustration comes from the computer makers crap they put on and not Windows itself. Its an easy way maybe save you a thousand+ dollars. But if you want a Mac for a Mac or OS X but dont really want to say it this isnt a recommendation for you.

yeah

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
Don't be nervous about the switch. My friend ordered a 2010 21.5 iMac about 1 year ago and still he says the iMan runs very well. I especially would buy an apple computer because Apple has the #1 costumer support! :D

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
I never switched. I use both a Windows 7 PC's, and Macs running Snow Leopard. I like them both for different reasons. Both have been trouble free from my experience. I find inexperienced users are the ones with all the problems. In that case OSX is the better of the two..

LSUtiger7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2011
First I would try doing a clean install of Windows 7 and seeing if you like your PC better. I think most PC frustration comes from the computer makers crap they put on and not Windows itself. Its an easy way maybe save you a thousand+ dollars. But if you want a Mac for a Mac or OS X but dont really want to say it this isnt a recommendation for you.

I've reformatted probably around 5 times now and done clean Windows reinstalls. As far as money is concerned that is not a problem at all I have buku disposable income at this stage in life. I'm more nervous about the learning curve more than anything else. I will NOT be installing any sort of Windows software aside from Office if I get an iMac.

TheAnswer 03

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2011
Regarding store distance, maybe they could send you a box to send it in or something?

I too have been a Windows user and just switched to an iMac 21.5" with 256GB SSD. Overall, there's a lot of similarities btw OS with minor differences (using Command instead of Shift for keyboard shortcuts etc.) and having to manually install an App to completely uninstall a program like AppCLeaner, but overall OS X Lion is more a fluid and effective OS I find.

I'm still trying to get used to how quite the iMac is :D

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
Quite frankly I am completely frustrated with the software that comes on PC especially Windows, it is complete garbage.

hard to take you serious...windows 7 is really quite good

completely agree...i always do a clean install of windows on new pc's (no crapware) and it makes all the difference.

now as for getting a imac...there is nothing to be nervous about it...in all likelyhood,be way faster then computer you have now...pretty much will run all software that windows pc's run...and in cases were it won't,there's always the option of installing win 7 threw bootcamp.

4zuresky

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2011
Bootcap

I would definitely recommend getting an "ecosystem" of mac computers and devices because everything goes with each other so well! If you REALLY miss the windows side, then you can always use bootcamp to get that side too! I installed windows 7 on my macbook and so far, I've been super happy whenever I can't get a program on the mac side. You WON'T be disappointed :) especially with apple's customer service!

mapleleafer

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2009
I am completely frustrated with the software that comes on PC

You don't say what software you will be needing. Have a look at what's available for your needs before you buy. Software for the Mac can be limited compared to what's available for Windows.

Spike88

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
I never switched. I use both a Windows 7 PC's, and Macs running Snow Leopard. I like them both for different reasons. Both have been trouble free from my experience. I find inexperienced users are the ones with all the problems. In that case OSX is the better of the two..

I also have both iMac and Windows (HP Laptop). And you are right. The iMac cannot do it all. Nice to go back to Windows - for some features.

For me and the iMac:
- Better pictures.
- Better movie playing (if supported).
- Wireless magic mouse (and its finger gestures) are good.
- Plays iTunes very smooth and easy.
- NO native Webcam setting adjustments. Must buy 3rd party.
- CDA to MPeg3 conversion very easy.
- Better / sharper screen resolution....

For me and Windows:
- Faster downloads / video streaming.
- Easier Mail.
- Can support more Apps. Like tax programs.
- Has global level DPI ratio increase single adjustment.
- Can adjust Webcam settings.

As they say in the shop, pick the tool that fits your needs/wants the most...

Last edited:

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2011
U.K.
hard to take you serious...windows 7 is really quite good

I agree with Tom totally - why do people feel the need to validate their actions by running down a competing product?

I use both my iMac and W7 and find it hard to put a pin between the two for ease of use. They are both very good systems, Windows is not garbage and there is plenty of good software out their for Windows ditto OS X.

Have you ever heard the saying "a good workman never blames his tools"?

mcfly2

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2010
TX
Quite frankly I am completely frustrated with the software that comes on PC especially Windows, it is complete garbage.

If you think Windows is complete garbage, I doubt that you'll be happy with OSX (or any other OS).

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Apple products are not perfect, and that includes Macs. As long as you're realistic about this, you'll be fine, because the Apple OS is certainly a better experience than Windows.

Kenjhee

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2011
I made the switch about a month ago, and am writing this on my new 27" i5. Nothing to it. I thought I'd run both PC and Mac for a while to transition, but the fact is this wasn't even necessary. I still have my ThinkPad sitting on my desk, but hardly ever have to fire it up any more. From what I've heard, most people make the switch and "never look back".

malias4

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
Greece and Holland
im alsoa new mac user since 15 september, i got a new base model 21.5 i5
i really love it, u need just a few days to get use to it and thats it.
i never use my laptop with windows7 anymore:D

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
i'm new also with a 27" Imac and have the best of both worlds using bootcamp. Yes it takes some getting used to, but keep in mind there are plenty of free Podcasts and great tech support to help you out.
In any case you have 14 days to try it out give it a whirl and see if you're happy. If not return it.

Mike in Kansas

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2008
Metro Kansas City
I was a Windows user (and DOS before that) going back to 1984. I experimented with an iMac back in 1998, but it wasn't "there" yet, so I went back to building/modifying my own WinTel boxes for the next 10 years. However, once OSX came out, things got much better and in 2008 I decided to give Macs a try again. In August 2008 I got a 24" iMac, and like you, was a little leery about going to an OS that wasn't Windows. I installed WinXP on a Bootcamp partition just to add a backup I was comfortable with, and also installed Parallels. I also got a cross license for OSX for all of my heavily used software, so I didn't have to repurchase much.

To make a long story short, after never using Bootcamp or Parallels for 1-1/2 years, I took the Bootcamp partition off in order to reclaim HDD space and have never looked back. I have another iMac that my kids use, and still have Bootcamp and WinXP on that, as their school requires them to use various Windows-based programs in their work.

astrocramp

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2011
I recently added a MBA to my collection of win7 pcs after not using a Mac in a long time. The biggest thing I miss is aero snap from win7 and also the taskbar (right click on this is awesome). I hate the Mac dock...it just looks like a bunch of disorganized crap, and I think the menu locked to the top of the screen rather than the window is indefensible especially with multiple monitors. I love expose with gestures that is very nice, and you can't beat Mac hardware it's far and away the best out there. While I don't think I'd totally switch and i think win7 is a bit more modern and trouble free for my purposes, I love having OSx and learning it...I stumbled on expose and it really improved my window management.

Tip request to Mac experts here: how do you move and resize windows with the MBA trackpad? It's awkward to have to hold down the trackpad while simultaneously moving the cursor to resize...I'm sure there's a trick I'm missing...

EricT43

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2011
I have always been a Windows guy, and just recently bought a 27" iMac. A while ago I built a Hackintosh with Snow Leopard on my Asus laptop, and after playing with it a bit, decided that I'd like to make the switch to OS X.

Like others have mentioned, I think the Apple hardware is fantastic, and the OS, being based on Linux, is pretty snappy. I am still getting accustomed to some things, like the hotkey differences, and the keyboard itself. I still use my Razer mouse from my Windows system. The Magic Mouse is pretty cool, but for now I just really like having 2 buttons. Maybe I'll give it some more time.

My laptop runs Windows 7, and I don't dislike Windows, but I like the way all the apps in OS X work nicely together. I absolutely detest running iTunes on a Windows machine, and since I will never be without an iPod/iPhone in the near future, this was actually a part of my decision to get a Mac.

I'm trying to simplify my setup. I had a Windows Home Server, a Win7 desktop which was my main machine and gaming rig, and a Win7 laptop. The server could stream to my PS3, and all my media was stored there. It was cool for a while, but I've grown tired of the complexity and all the headaches that comes with it.

Now, I am down to my iMac, which now stores all my media, and my laptop. I'll set up PS3 media server on it for the times when I want to get to it on my PS3. My old gaming rig will probably be sold for parts, and I'll hang onto my Windows laptop for those times when I want to surf on the porch or something. This feels much better.

The iMac is by far the most expensive computer I've purchased, but so far I have no regrets, it's a really nice machine.

Obi Wan Kenobi

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2011
London, UK
Make the switch. We did recently and haven't regretted it at all.

Don't worry about the distance to an Apple Store if your hardware breaks down. It's very very very unlikely to happen. You'll read a lot about faults here, because this is a website people come to looking for help with (or to complain about) Apple products.

We kept our PC when we bought our first macbook to 'ease the transition'. It quickly became a large unused dust collector that takes up space in the corner. We've hardly ever used it since. Now we have an iMac and an MBA as well.

Once you get used to the OS, Macs are in a different class. It's all so much easier.

My two top tips for the transition are these:
1 - for most windows keyboard shortcuts where you used the CTRL key, use the Command key instead. It works just the same - (my subsequent reading has found this to be because Windows copied most of its keyboard short cuts from earlier versions of OS X).

2 - Forget all the menus and icons and series of clicks and options you had to learn to make Windows do what it was supposed to. You don't need to know any of that for OS X. Just do what seems natural. OS X is designed that way. That's what Mac fans mean when they say it has a great UI (User Interface).

MacPC

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2006
No need to be nervous, it's the best move you will ever make in your life to save your sanity and save you thousands of dollars by not going to your psychologist perhaps even you life by not comtemplating to commit suicide :)
At first there will be some minor adjustment switching from Windows to Mac, once you pass that, you will find out how sill yyou were by giving Garbagesoft you hard earn money!!

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK
If you are 3 1/2 hours away from an Apple store, I suggest you take Apple care. It's not expensive but seriously I am yet to meet anyone who doesn't get back from it what they have paid for it in the first place. But in general, as others say, don't think for a minute. I work on PCs at work and coming back to my Mac everything home feels like opening a bottle of cold beer on a hot hot summer day! Enjoy

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.