Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
I am considering buying a new, small HDTV, probably a 22" -- I was wondering about hooking an NES or an SNES console to the unit. The television has a coax connector on the back, but from what I understand this is for the DTV tuner only. Will these older analog game consoles work with these newer TVs? Like I said, it has the screw-in coax connector on the TV, but I am worried that this would be for a digital signal only. Please enlighten me.

Thanks

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
I am considering buying a new, small HDTV, probably a 22" -- I was wondering about hooking an NES or an SNES console to the unit. The television has a coax connector on the back, but from what I understand this is for the DTV tuner only. Will these older analog game consoles work with these newer TVs? Like I said, it has the screw-in coax connector on the TV, but I am worried that this would be for a digital signal only. Please enlighten me.

Thanks

The SNES and the NES had a composite video out, you should be good there. Furthermore COAX is COAX, unless the unit does not have a tuner built in you can use it with the RF adaptors too. The only reason that wouldn't apply is for higher end sets that do not have tuners built in, the COAX on those are usually BNC based connctors that can connect to an accessory tuner.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Our Bravia does not want to display the NES. It goes all funky monkey on it. This also includes Virtual Console NES and Mega Drive games.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
My NES and SNES work fine with my Samsung HDTV. I have an S-Video cable for the SNES and use the RCA jacks on the NES. However, the light-gun on the NES doesn't work as it needs a tube. :(

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Anything analog will lag on a HDTV though :/
It's unbearable to me as I play at frame level in some games, but most people are fine with it.

Antares

macrumors 68000
It works on my Samsung hdtv, as well. I connected the NES to the coax "cable" input and it worked fine with the input setting on the tv.

But I have my old 20" tube Samsung which I'm keeping purely for retro gaming systems (SNES, NES, Intellivison, etc.). Those just feel better on that tv.

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
I would really like to get my Sega Master System working on my Sharp Aquos... I am serious I miss R-Type, Wonderboy in Monsterland and Gorvilious...

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2004
In a cup of orange juice.
I have the TG-16 version of R-Type and Dragon's Curse(WBiML on this console) on my Wii and it works great on any HD set. They also offer the SMS version of Wonder Boy in Monster Land, which I originally owned for my SMS along with R-Type. Great games! I still can't beat R-Type. :eek:

Golvellius is out on the Japanese Wii from from what I understand. It's also coming to the iPhone and Touch. :)

dubels

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2006
I wonder what my atari would look like on my hdtv... Time to dig up my old systems for some retro gaming. I think I'll start with my Atari, then SNES, then Genesis

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
Hmm... I play my NES/SNES on my 46" D64 Aquos all the time and it looks awesome for what it is. As long as you use composite connectors anyway

I've got the 80's model of the Sega Master System that needs the RF for the TV to tune into the Sega :(

Otherwise my N64 works fine via the composite ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.