Nest app updated with apple watch control!

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Apps' started by antnee, Jul 28, 2016.

1. antnee macrumors regular

FYI nest has updated their IOS app that include apple watch control.

2. jhagg macrumors member

jhagg

3. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

4. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

5. gwhizkids macrumors 68020

gwhizkids

Thermowatch has had an app to do this for quite some time

6. Marconelly macrumors 6502

Marconelly

O boy, I'm definitely getting ready for the sales of my app to drop through the floor now :-D It was not too bad while it lasted.

I've tried their app, and I was able to end the Auto-Away state that my thermostat was in, but then I couldn't change the temperature at all for whatever reason (the number on the watch display would change, but the thermostat itself didn't update). I'll try it again later in the evening.

I guess I should take this opportunity to reassure anyone who still prefers using my app that I definitely won't stop working on it because Nest released theirs. I've noticed so far for example that their app doesn't have complications or a glance, and it is kind of laggy, so I still feel somewhat justified to charge some money for mine. Also, I plan on adding today's screen widget, which is something they don't have. But again, even if the market realities convince me to make it free, I won't stop updating it.

7. tasset macrumors 6502a

Like many app categories, your app appeals to those that care about more feature-rich options (complications for example) and better design, and there will always be a someone willing to pay you for your effort. It may not be a large enough opportunity if the "good enough" mainstream has a free option from the platform owner, but us paying customers hope it is! Here's to wishing that you can keep updating your app to be a faster, more well-designed app than the one from Nest (or that they themselves will commission you to make theirs better)!

8. Feenician macrumors 68040

Feenician

Yours is still miles better on the watch. Setting the temp using nest's watch app didn't work for me at first either - it seems you have to stare at it long enough for it to have a two-way conversation (working theory). This is a long way from your start, set and forget interaction model. Also, Nest, like the iOS app, requires you tap on thermostat first, even if you only have one and this significantly increases the interaction time. No complication, as you say, either. Looking forward to a Today widget.

Nest are not good at software and they don't seem to care very much. Look how long it took them to add geofencing and it's still a worse, less granular, implementation than 3rd parties.

9. ericg301 macrumors 6502a

I tried the native app for literally 20 seconds before removing it. Yours is miles ahead.

10. YatBob macrumors member

YatBob

Totally agree although it tried it for a bit longer, a few hours before uninstalling it

11. ericg301 macrumors 6502a

Don't under estimate the surprise and delight of haptic feedback

12. gwhizkids macrumors 68020

gwhizkids

I tried Nest's as well: won't be using it again. Yours is still way better!

13. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

ThermoWatch and QuickControl are both WAY better than Nest's app (that it took them a year and a half to get added to the watch.)

There's no complications and I REALLY like the complications for both of the other apps. ThermoWatch is MUCH more responsive than Nest's own app and I like that QuickControl shows me the current temperature in my house on the complication (but it's not as responsive to changing the temperature... so Thermowatch wins out in that respect!)

At the very least Nest should be available in glances and it's not. It's a huge annoyance (to me) to have to get to the app via the little icons. Especially since both the other apps have BOTH complication and Glance. Nest/Google showed they don't care about Apple Watch integration (1) by taking a year and a half to release it and (2) by releasing a crappy app.

14. Feenician macrumors 68040

Feenician

Worth noting that glances go away completely in Watch OS 3 too. Thermowatch will happily run resident in memory in the dock and allow you to adjust the temperature before it even connects to the Nest. That is super convenient.

15. Marconelly, Aug 1, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2016

Marconelly macrumors 6502

Marconelly

Just as a note - thermo watch does have house temperature displayed on two of its complications - the large utility one, and the large modular one (along with the humidity, on both of them). It doesn't show it however on any of the small complications, which you are probably using - but that's a good idea for a future update where I can make that configurable.

16. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

Ahhh.... yes.... i'm using it as a small complication. And that would be awesome if it displayed in the small one!