Nest app

Discussion in 'Apple TV Apps' started by joshuakhania, Nov 6, 2015.

1. joshuakhania macrumors member

2. savagewatts macrumors regular

They haven't even made one for the Apple Watch yet. I wouldn't hold your breath.

3. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

I'm considering leaving the Nest ecosystem because of their reluctance to provide support for HomeKit, Apple Watch and it appears, AppleTV. I purchased my Nest, Nest Protect and DropCam at the Apple Store so I feel a bit cheated that they distanced themselves from Apple after the Google purchase. If they think that's going to drive me to Android, they're mistaken as I'll simply drop Nest instead.

4. tgwaste macrumors 6502a

tgwaste

Same here. I think NEST is a complete garbage company. For the price they charge for their devices these Apps should be available Day #1.

5. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

I considered buying an ecobee and getting rid of my nest because they've disgusted me with their refusal to add apple watch support. but then reason prevailed and I realized that the only person I'd be spiting by buying an ecobee (since at this point in time there is nothing wrong with my nest) would be my own wallet! nest already has my money.... so I gave in and spend $3 and bought a third party app to control my nest from my watch and it has geofencing.

6. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

AGREED! I absolutely HATE google... nest really screwed their original customers when they went over the the dark side!

7. tgwaste macrumors 6502a

tgwaste

What 3rd party app?

8. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

QuickControl

They dropped the price for a day on Saturday so I grabbed it! I had hoped that it would have gone cheaper with black Friday/cyber Monday... they caught me in a good mood when I got the notification that the price had dropped so I bought it!

9. tgwaste macrumors 6502a

tgwaste

No DropCam support. :/

10. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

I have a Nest, Nest Protect and a DropCam. I'm kind of stuck for this generation but you bet that I won't be expanding on anything in the Nest ecosystem.

It looks like Wink might end up being an intermediary hub between HomeKit and Nest. Wink seems to be working on adopting HomeKit. At that point, Nest products will work indirectly.

That said, I like what August is doing in the home space. Despite some growing pains with show stopping bugs at the beginning, they're getting that sorted out and releasing some beautifully designed hardware. While they're focusing on home access right now, they could just as easily expand to thermostats and cameras like Nest. Hopefully they don't get bought out by Nest or Alphabet. I would love it if Apple bought August and kept them as a separate company to run their HomeKit division releasing their own smart home products and encouraging other 3rd parties to develop for the HomeKit ecosystem.

11. savagewatts macrumors regular

Drip is a good app for your drop cam. You don't get a live feed but at least it updates every 3 seconds

12. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Yeah. Surprised this thing didn't come preloaded with home kit for other things as well.

13. Peepo macrumors 6502a

Branch has a version of Nest app that works on apple watch and apple tv.
    Not sure the purpose for AppleTV for me since I have control on my iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, and Harmony Remote - but why not more ways to control!!!

14. tgwaste macrumors 6502a

tgwaste

Again. No DropCam. It is on github though.

15. JoshVB macrumors regular

I use Branch, and have adjusted the temp via the AppleTV when I didn't have my Apple Watch on and my iPhone and iPad was in another room.

16. PhyrePhox macrumors regular

PhyrePhox

So, that's it? A handful of 3rd party apps for home automation and no HomeKit apps for aTV 4?