Nest Cam experiences

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by jjk454ss, Sep 27, 2015.

1. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

so, short of no HomeKit, what's everyone's experiences with Nest Cam? I picked one up last night, but haven't opened it. Seems pricey for a camera. My house was broken into, I want something to monitor and record offsite so if the camera were stolen I'd still have the video. I'm thinking this is a good option, but want to hear from other with the Nest Cam if there is anything I should know.

2. marc55 macrumors 6502a

marc55

We have the Dropcam which is now nest for almost a year now, and have had "0" issues with it. The App is great and easy to use.

3. jjk454ss thread starter macrumors 601

jjk454ss

Good to know. Anything I should know before setting it up? Any tricks to make is easier or better? Anyway to make it not record when I'm home and automatically turn back on when I leave? I was thinking of a camera used BT to detect when I'm home to stop the recording would be great.

4. marc55 macrumors 6502a

marc55

Setup is a breeze. I do believe there's a way to set it up automatically, but we just leave it off till we go out, and then turn it on. Of course, we're retired, and kids are out on their own; if we had a busier lifestyle, I would look at the auto settings.

There is a Home/Away button on the App; I might give it a try later

Bottom line: It's a great camera, great App, and excellent customer service.

m

5. jjk454ss thread starter macrumors 601

jjk454ss

Thanks again. Looking forward to trying it out, hopefully later today I can find time to set it up.

6. t76turbo, Sep 27, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2015

t76turbo macrumors regular

I have 3 dropcams in my home and like them.

As far as suggestions before install......

I would first suggest to reboot your modem and router just because this practice helps get the best performance when done occasionally. I roboot mine once a month or so and might as well do it before install.

Secondly. Evaluate where you want to put it. I have one resting on a window ledge pointing out into my front yard looking at my driveway and both garage doors so I can make sure they are closed when I have left the house. You know that feeling when you are half way to work and then think crap, did I shut the garage. I wanted a way to tell for sure. The concern here is that because it is close to the glass of my window, the night vision IR has a bad reflection in the picture making it unusable. So I just had to turn the night vision off. They do have cases made by a company called drop cam cases i think that allow you to mount the cams outside. I have one but haven't installed yet.

The install is cake. To make the app work on your phone I think you have to enter the serial. So I would take a photo of the serial number on the back of the camera just so much you have it close instead of having to go back to the location you mounted it.

They do have a easy way to schedule recordings. I just looked at my nest app and it says you can set it up to record when you set your 'home status' to away and when you set your status to home it will stop recording. You can also use schedules if you don't want the interaction of setting your own status.

I don't use these. I don't care if it records when I am there. Just make sure you don't set your camera to public so everyone can see it.

7. jjk454ss thread starter macrumors 601

jjk454ss

Thanks for the great info, will be helpful for sure.

8. jjk454ss thread starter macrumors 601

jjk454ss

Camera is working great, I haven't subscribed yet. Now I see Logitech is releasing one in Oct with 24 hours of recording for free. Might have to look at that as 24 hours is good for me.