HomeKit Nest Cam with Homebridge

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by Vado, May 7, 2018.

1. Vado macrumors member

Vado

I recently setup Homebridge to get my Nest Thermostat and Nest Protects to work within the Home app.

When I was creating my own Nest api on the Nest developers site. I added support for the Nest Cam, if I wanted to add a few to my setup how would that work with Homebridge, I'm guessing it would be display only in the Home app with any recording being done through the Nest app?

Has anyone done it?

If I did add a Nest Cam would it just be a case of restarting Homebridge for it to see and fetch the Nest Cam setup on my Nest account?

2. DNichter macrumors 603

DNichter

I don't have one so I can't say how it would look within the Home app, but I would assume it would work the same as any other cam product that works through HomeKit. To you second question, yes you would just need to restart the Homebridge and it will load the new accessories (obviously do this after set up). I did it yesterday with Nest Protect and all worked fine.

3. cdavis11 macrumors 6502

I use it, it works very well.

For me, it was just a question of adding the plugin and configuring...then a home bridge restart.

I run home bridge on an always on iMac, I have no problems with the camera plugin...but I have heard of folks who think the raspberry Pi is underpowered for the video transcoding.

4. Vado thread starter macrumors member

Vado

Thanks for replying. I already have the main Nest homebridge plugin installed along with my Nest api setup (with Camera support).

Is there a separate plugin required for the Nest Cam?