Nest & Homekit vs. Honeywell

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by hokiepokie07, Jan 11, 2015.

1. hokiepokie07 macrumors 6502a

I currently own a Nest thermostat & 1 Nest Protect. However, I am very intrigued by Apple's HomeKit and would like all my products use that. I've researched, and it seems that Nest is not going to use Apple's HomeKit. Is this true or am I missing something?

Should I begin to look into selling my Nest and purchasing the Honeywell which will use HomeKit? What do people think about the Honeywell thermostat that uses the HomeKit? Are there other thermostats in the making that will use HomeKit?

I couldn't find any smoke/co2 protectors that use HomeKit.

Thanks!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Nest is owned by Google now, so I'm pretty sure they'll not be to quick to embrace any more of Apple services.

Since you already spent a lot of money on the nest, I'd not buy the Honeywell. the Nest does currently have iOS integration, so what other options are you looking for?

3. chabig macrumors 601

Now that Nest is part of Google, it's something I plan to stay very far away from.

4. HalfMoonEditor macrumors newbie

You may want to rethink the way you come to conclusions on things you know nothing about. I know several of the engineers at Nest, and moving away from iOS isn't even on the radar. It would be a stupid business decision and they already have embedded engineers just for iOS compatibility, not to mention many of their engineers are ex-Apple ones.

Besides, why would Nest give up half their embedded market just because it's iOS? Think before you post.

----------

Quite the opposite.

5. hokiepokie07 thread starter macrumors 6502a

So you think Nest Thermostat will join HomeKit? It sounds like it's going to be Nest vs. HomeKit.

6. HalfMoonEditor macrumors newbie

I can't say any more, but they'd be foolish not to.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I disagree, its in Google's best interest to make sure that Apple services do not gain any early adopters. I'm sure Google as something up its sleeve, for the very reason that they bought Nest in the first place.

8. HalfMoonEditor macrumors newbie

Fair enough, but you're wrong. Google/Nest has no interest in abandoning iOS users as they were the majority of their early adopters.

9. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Staff engineers don't really have a say on company direction usually...

10. HalfMoonEditor macrumors newbie

No, but they know what their engineering pipeline is for the next few years.Look, you guys can say "Nest is done as far as iOS is concerned" simply because Google bought them all you want, but I have knowledge to the contrary, so that's all I have to go off of.

11. maflynn, Jan 11, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2015

maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

So please provide cite your source to say I'm wrong. I'm giving you my opinion that we'll not see new integration from Nest. Its my opinion, but since you're convinced I'm wrong, lets see the evidence to support that.

Edit:
    Let me just add, I readily admit that I'm not the be all, end all of technology information. I'm offering my opinion of the future. I'll gladly accept my error, if you post some confirmation that Nest is planning on supporting Homekit.

12. HalfMoonEditor macrumors newbie

Evidence I have would cost people their jobs. I've been friends for over a decade with someone that I knew from my days at Apple who now works at Nest who manages a team of people that contradicts your claims. That's all I can say. You can believe me or not, but you're wrong, ultimately. You have your opinion, I have a first-hand source.

You can believe me or not, I don't care. But I'll be happily using my well-established Nest and Hue devices via HomeKit for the foreseeable future while the rest of you waddle over what new untested products to buy because they suddenly support HomeKit

13. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

And usually, engineers don't provide company details to those not affiliated.

I have friends that are engineers all over and I don't know their product development cycle nor company plans as it is proprietary info. As an engineer myself, I don't talk strategy to people not with the company.

So, yes, I don't think you know as much as you are leading us to believe. I hope you are correct but I don't consider what you say to be reliable from my experience because "You have an engineering friend that works at nest"

14. HalfMoonEditor macrumors newbie

That's fine, I don't care. I know what I know, you don't have to believe me.

15. kurzz macrumors 6502

kurzz

I'm waiting for homekit before I buy any home automation stuff. I was going to get Nest before it was bought out by Google. I have Hue lights which is getting homekit integration...just waiting for other stuff like locks, garage opener, etc.

Siri voice control is the killer app for home automation. Star Trek is finally here :p