Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Nest Mobile Gets Update With Redesign, Nest Protect Compatibility

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Nest has updated its Nest Mobile app to version 4.0, adding a brand new design, new features for Nest Thermostat management and compatibility with the Nest Protect smoke detector.
The app is getting a full redesign: since you control both Nest Protect and the Nest Learning Thermostat from one place, we updated the mobile app to fit--and work better--for both. You won't have to turn the phone sideways to set your Thermostat to Away or view settings and things will get a lot more interesting when you connect a Nest Protect.
The interface of the app has been updated to give users all the information they need at a quick glance, including weather, the ability to change a user's status from "home" to "away" without putting the phone into landscape mode, a dynamic Nest thermostat icon and a dynamic Nest Protect icon.

The Thermostat icon turns black if a room is cooling or isn't heating and will turn orange if it's heating and blue if the AC is on. The Protect icon is green if everything in the home is OK and will turn yellow or red if there's a Heads Up or Emergency Alarm notification respectively.

The Protect section of the app allows users to see the status of all their installed Protect smoke detectors in their home on a single page listed by room name. The app also alerts users as danger escalates or subsides with messages and push notifications.

Users with dual fuel or heat pumps get new features as well, including Quiet Time to silence stand-alone humidifiers and dehumidifiers at certain times, and, if users have both Thermostat and Protect, shut down the heating system if there's a CO emergency.

The 4.0 update is being pushed to Thermostats automatically over the next couple of days. Nest notes that users should check "Technical Info" within "Settings" to see if their Thermostat has received the update. The app update is available now.

Nest Mobile is a free download on the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Nest Mobile Gets Update With Redesign, Nest Protect Compatibility

portishead

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2007
los angeles
The new design is nice. Setting away is easy which is the main thing I ever use. I can't find the schedule settings though. I got a preorder in for a smoke alarm too. Love my nest.

ebika

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2008
Chicago
The new design is nice. Setting away is easy which is the main thing I ever use. I can't find the schedule settings though. I got a preorder in for a smoke alarm too. Love my nest.

When you touch the circle with the temperature, touch the lines in the upper right corner. It gives the schedule and other info for the thermostat. I like that they put the humidity reading right there.

smileyborg

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2009
I can't find the schedule settings though.

When you touch the circle with the temperature, touch the lines in the upper right corner. It gives the schedule and other info for the thermostat.

I was also very confused and thought they removed the schedule feature altogether. It's really bad interface design to subtly change a button like this when your context changes (and it barely changes its visual appearance when no thermostat is selected vs. when one is)...

reggoboy

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2009
I was also very confused and thought they removed the schedule feature altogether. It's really bad interface design to subtly change a button like this when your context changes (and it barely changes its visual appearance when no thermostat is selected vs. when one is)...

I agree. I thought they had removed features, and the new interface is even less intuitive than the old one.

I'd like to suggest that they move most (all?) of the items buried under Thermostat Settings up a level and put them below the Schedule widget.

xdhd350

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2010
Glad they brought the up/down arrows back

UI is not fun to look at. Same dumbed down flat, boring look as iOS7. :(

But the up/down arrows for temp adjustment are back. I hated it when they did away with those and tried to be cute by having you run your finger back and forth. Problem was, whereever you placed your finger is where the temp would jump to and then adjusting it was an excercise in frustration. But I really love my Nest thermostat.

CamiMR

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2012
Now if only they'd release this in the UK... Protect is available to pre-order, but the Thermostat has been rumored since January! And still nada...

mrow

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2009
In the market for my first home right now. The Learning Thermostat and a few of the Protects are at the top of my list of things to buy once I find a place. Nice to see the updated the app before I get everything.

portishead

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2007
los angeles
When you touch the circle with the temperature, touch the lines in the upper right corner. It gives the schedule and other info for the thermostat. I like that they put the humidity reading right there.

There it is. Not sure how I missed it. I wish they put humidity on the front and other options. I rarely use the App, but it would save me a click or two, and maybe make me use the app more.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
I agree. I thought they had removed features, and the new interface is even less intuitive than the old one.

I'd like to suggest that they move most (all?) of the items buried under Thermostat Settings up a level and put them below the Schedule widget.

it doesn't seem like a big deal to me. I like that I don't have to rotate to landscape mode anymore just to change operating modes.

nt5672

macrumors 68020
Jun 30, 2007
The fact that they did the smoke detector before even getting close on good thermostat operation tells you all you need to know about Nest.

If you want a real thermostat that works, buy anything other than Nest (yes, I still have mine until I can afford to replace it), unless image is all that matters, then yes, the Nest is the best looking thermostat you can buy. Just don't expect it to be easily used, with a good UI, and work reliably.

As for the smoke detector, it should be hooked to your security system and monitored by a real security company. No way would I trust Nest to monitor for fire after my experience with the Nest thermostat.

RobNYC

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2008
New York, NY
Now if only they would update the software on the thermostat itself to allow you to adjust the ambient temp setting that would be great. Mine is constantly reading anywhere from 2 - 5 degrees warmer than it really is.

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
The fact that they did the smoke detector before even getting close on good thermostat operation tells you all you need to know about Nest.

If you want a real thermostat that works, buy anything other than Nest (yes, I still have mine until I can afford to replace it), unless image is all that matters, then yes, the Nest is the best looking thermostat you can buy. Just don't expect it to be easily used, with a good UI, and work reliably.

As for the smoke detector, it should be hooked to your security system and monitored by a real security company. No way would I trust Nest to monitor for fire after my experience with the Nest thermostat.

I'm so confused by your comment. Nest is by far the absolutely best thermostat out there. Can it be improved, sure, but I would love to hear how Nest is the worst one out there and which model comes even close to Nest.

The app update was very easy for me to figure out, yes it has changed but I logically figured out where everything was in a matter of a few trial and error selections.

yg17

macrumors G5
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
In the market for my first home right now. The Learning Thermostat and a few of the Protects are at the top of my list of things to buy once I find a place. Nice to see the updated the app before I get everything.

I bought my first house in September and the first thing I did after closing and getting the keys was ripping out the old thermostat and putting a Nest in. I love it. Good luck with the home purchase.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010

what on earth are you talking about? Nests are now for posers interested in "image"? mine works flawlessly and effortlessly. if yours doesnt id suggest getting it fixed.

well good for you that theyve already announced a version to do just that. go read their website.

Oilbrnr

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2007

Wow, I have three in two different homes, and have had zero issues. Works as advertised and their phone support was great when I was doing the installs. Maybe you have a defective unit, or otherwise a general ID10T error. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008

You almost sound like a plant from another company trying to downplay the Nest.

I've had nothing but good experiences with the Nest. With that said I don't really know if its the BEST out there but it's definitely not bad. It works as advertised and the developers are constantly improving the software.

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
Wow, I have three in two different homes, and have had zero issues. Works as advertised and their phone support was great when I was doing the installs. Maybe you have a defective unit, or otherwise a general ID10T error. :rolleyes:

ID-10-T ... I really enjoyed that. :)

duncanapple

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2008
Should have known to come to macrumors first lol. I spent ten minutes looking for the schedule, energy history, humidity, etc before trying to google it (with no success; the update is still too new).

The Problem is those three parrallel lines change function when the circle is selected vs not selected. I didn't try it when selected me hence could not find the bulk of the functions I mentioned like humidity, schedule, etc. Anyway thanks to the posters above for the steer!

I'd like to add a protect to the mix. I wonder if I could do a mixed environment of one nest protect (in my kitchen where we always get false alarms cooking) and the rest standard smokes. It'd be nice to get the extended auto away sensing as well, but I am not going to replace all 7 smokes in my house at $130/ea. And they wear out I'm told. You're supposed to get all new detectors every what, 10 years or less? That's a tough one to justify.

jailwut wunnow

macrumors member
May 25, 2011
I can't fathom why it was so hard for people to find schedule and other settings in the new version of the app. In the old version, in landscape mode, you still had to select either Home or Nest for settings for either one. Why would you think it is any different now. If Home was selected you'd only have a couple of choices. And when Nest was selected you'd have energy/schedule/settings. Quite a few apps are now using/have been using that 3-dash icon to "slide the screen over". Fabebook is just one of those apps.

Anyway, I like the new app update and like my Nest. No issues with either.

Menel

macrumors 603
Aug 4, 2011
Should have known to come to macrumors first lol. I spent ten minutes looking for the schedule, energy history, humidity, etc before trying to google it (with no success; the update is still too new).

The Problem is those three parrallel lines change function when the circle is selected vs not selected. I didn't try it when selected me hence could not find the bulk of the functions I mentioned like humidity, schedule, etc. Anyway thanks to the posters above for the steer!

I'd like to add a protect to the mix. I wonder if I could do a mixed environment of one nest protect (in my kitchen where we always get false alarms cooking) and the rest standard smokes. It'd be nice to get the extended auto away sensing as well, but I am not going to replace all 7 smokes in my house at $130/ea. And they wear out I'm told. You're supposed to get all new detectors every what, 10 years or less? That's a tough one to justify.
I'm assuming since you have 7, they are connected via 3wire, remote comm.

What good is the connected, linked alarm system, if the Nest Protect in your kitchen, when there is a fire, cant activate any others? Sounds dumb for some gadgetry.

General recommendation is no fire alarm in kitchen.

cschmelz

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2007
I REALLY like the new NEST app. I keep my phone locked in portrait mode and with the previous app to change any settings I would have to unlock rotation, then rotate the phone to change settings..

New one now works as it should where you can access all the settings in either orientation which makes the most sense right?

----------

I'm assuming since you have 7, they are connected via 3wire, remote comm.

What good is the connected, linked alarm system, if the Nest Protect in your kitchen, when there is a fire, cant activate any others? Sounds dumb for some gadgetry.

General recommendation is no fire alarm in kitchen.

I believe the recommendations are heat detector in the kitchen. That is what my ADT system has (not smoke, just significant heat)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.