Nest Protect works!

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Easttime, Dec 9, 2015.

1. Easttime macrumors 6502

We were cooking supper the other day. The oven got smokey. The Nest Protect announced that it detected smoke and was about to go off. I tapped the device to stop it from alarming. We opened the doors to air the place out. In a few minutes this message popped up on my Apple Watch. Nice.
    image.png

2. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

As loathe as I am to let any more of Google's tentacles reach into my life (and dismissing the fact that we don't have an upstairs at home), this is pretty danged cool.

3. TxWatch macrumors 6502

TxWatch

Does Nest have Watch App or was that a notification to your phone that was mirrored on the Watch?

I ask because I have the Honeywell WiFi thermostats with their iPhone App. As far as I know, they do not have a Watch version, but it might be worth asking on their forums.

TxWatch

4. jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

Nest Protect is smoke detector, not thermostat.
    Not sure anything need/worth to control from AW for smoke detector?
    And Nest/Google does not have AW app.

5. Easttime thread starter macrumors 6502

No Nest Watch app. Notification from Nest app on iPhone.

6. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

My Nest Protect worked too good and went off at 2am two days in a row. I pulled the batteries and it lives in the garage garbage can.

7. Easttime thread starter macrumors 6502

Any troubleshooting?

8. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Multiple calls to Nest and tried all of their suggestions but when it did it the 2nd night, that was it! I am not alone as this has happened to many others according to Google, even though the Nest people acted dumb! I still love my 4 nest T-Stats.

9. Easttime thread starter macrumors 6502

This is the message history in the Nest app on my iPhone.
    image.jpeg

10. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Yeah, one of mine did that a few times and that finished my love affair with nest. Safety equipment that behaves unpredictably (in any way whatsoever) is a liability. All three of mine went back pronto for a refund when nest offered their buyback/recall program last year.

I still have two 1st gen thermostats and they are great. But two telemetry devices in my home reporting back to Google is quite enough :D

11. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Yep, I will be sending my unit back for replacement or refund. They say the newer units fixed this. Not sure if I want to give it a try.

12. Easttime thread starter macrumors 6502

For what it's worth, all three of ours have been perfectly stable. Second generation. Two wired, one battery.

13. nightcap965 macrumors 6502a

nightcap965

I wish it were HomeKit compliant, but the new Nest Protect 2.0 devices are compelling.

14. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

Had one false alarm in the absolute worst time in the bedroom. Then it kept going off. Found a cockatiel feather in it.

15. nightcap965 macrumors 6502a

nightcap965

That's why I don't keep the bird cage in the bedroom! :)

16. crzdcolombian macrumors 6502a

crzdcolombian

is there a difference between the battery and the Wired? I hear the battery ones is easier to install and get running.

17. BradWould macrumors 6502

BradWould

I'm quite invested in the HomeKit platform but still decided to go with 2 nest protects in my house. I figured I'd go with a more stable second gen product rather than the single HomeKit smoke detector on the market. I like the idea of having HomeKit everything but really how many times a year will I talk to my smoke detector?

18. BradWould macrumors 6502

BradWould

The battery version is ridiculously simple to set up. Download app, create account, pull tab on battery, scan barcode and screw it to the ceiling. Very sturdy 4 screw mount as well.

Edit: I don't think there are any feature restrictions with the battery vs wired. The night time path light works great on the battery version.

19. FrisbeeK9 macrumors 6502a

FrisbeeK9

Even worse, what if the OP didn't have a cockatiel....

20. Easttime thread starter macrumors 6502

The wired version was as easy to install as the battery version. Both took minutes. Main difference is need to shut off power to the old wired detectors before messing with them. If there are no wires where you want to mount the detector, then that's a different story.

21. nightcap965 macrumors 6502a

nightcap965

I don't think so. My current detectors are wired, so I'd just want to replace them with the same sort.

22. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

I actually was just going to start a new thread on this myself, as I'm in the market for a smart smoke detector, when I found this thread. I was wondering how the second generation Nest devices were holding up. I totally agree with your post - I want as much of my stuff as possible to be HomeKit compatible, but I honestly didn't even know how a smoke detector would work with Siri! I'm fine with not having HomeKit compatibility in exchange for having a more developed device.

For those of you who had less than stellar experiences with Nest, was it a first generation or second generation unit? I'd love to hear more feedback on the second-gen devices too before I go for it. I already have a Dropcam and have never had an issue with that, for what it's worth.

23. Easttime thread starter macrumors 6502

My three are second gen and have been rock solid.

24. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

Thanks for letting me know! Glad they've been working for you. After looking at reviews online from the 2nd gen, it seems like your experience is more or less the norm at this point. I had no idea they'd changed so much but am glad to hear it.

25. bigrobb macrumors 6502a

anyone know how these work if at first you only have one next protect and the other smoke detectors are not nest?