Nesting folders on Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Dave00, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Dave00 macrumors 6502a

Is there any easy way to nest folders on the iPod touch? (The wife thought it was the best valentine's day present ever, by the way :)

I have my photos organized on my hard drive in multiple levels of folders. For instance, baby photos are in 2007/September/Baby Photos. But when I sync to the iPod, they're in one giant 2007 folder. Perhaps this is because I don't use iPhoto, but just tell iTunes to sync the folders. iPhoto is really not a part of my workflow but I will open it if it will organize for the iPod. My only concern is that it will recopy all the photos and I'll eat up more hard drive space. Any solutions?

2. quicklook2 macrumors 6502

quicklook2

i think you need iphoto to do it.

no matter what i did in itunes it is one large folder.

3. davidy macrumors 6502

davidy

You can't really nest the folders, you have to download them one folder at a time. The iPod will duplicate each folder as it's downloaded but it will also create a master photo libraty which contains all of the photos. When you want to see your photos, if you select photo library you'll get the whold bunch, If you just wan to see one folder, just select that one.

You might have one folder with 100 photos, another with 75 photos and a third with 88 photos. These will each be in the Touch separately, along with the photo library containing all 263 photos. They're not really duplicated in the library, they're each tagged for the two folders they'll appear in.

4. Dave00 thread starter macrumors 6502a

The problem becomes that if you have main folders with multiple levels of subfolders, only the top level folders are copied. So 2007/January gets lumped together with 2007/February, etc. Now, I'd hope that if I use iPhoto, the folders/subfolders nesting gets preserved when you copy it across. That's what I'm going to try next. I just hope that iPhoto doesn't recopy all the photos for its own organization.

Dave

5. mekopolis macrumors regular

I auto sync from one master folder, and it seems the touch only goes 1 deep from there....for example (drive > Sub folder (#of pics))

Master >
    Master > People (201)
    Master > Hiking (212)
    Master > Maps (101)
    Master > Misc (37)

its not the best way to manage folders, but at least i can sort them to at least one sub level

6. Dave00 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yuck, this is a problem. Even with organizing in subfolders in iPhoto, they're simply ignored. Consequently, on your iPod you either have an enormous number of folders or a few folders with an enormous number of photos. Now why wouldn't they allow subfolders? Makes no sense.

7. davidy macrumors 6502

davidy

I'm not really seeing the problem here. If you download each folder separately (each folder containing pictures, not folders containing other folders) these will be shown separately in the iPod. When you want to view the photos and hit the Photos icon, you'll be presented with every folder you downloaded and you can simply choose which one to watch. When you're done with that one you can back up and view another. What's the difficulty? True, if you have 10 folders, each with 5 sub-folders and a few sub-sub folders then downloading them separately can be tedious but really, that's a strange way to organize things and you'll just have to deal with it.