Nesting of Folders Exceeds Permitted Maximum - Help Error

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Wheetman, May 4, 2009.

1. Wheetman macrumors member

Ran a Disk Verification check out of curiosity earlier on (Its my first Mac) and found the error message 'Nesting of folders exceeds the permitted maximum of 100'. Now I haven't had the machine up and running long enough to nest anything and wouldn't know how to if I desired it. I ran a terminal test as recommended on another forum and got the following result back:

Last login: Mon May 4 18:34:59 on console
    alan-wheetmans-mac-pro:~ Alan$ sudo find / -maxdepth 100 -mindepth 100
    Password:
    /Users/Alan/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/.cups/lpoptions
    /Users/Alan/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Desktop/.localized
    /Users/Alan/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/.CFUserTextEncoding
    /Users/Alan/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/.cups
    /Users/Alan/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/.DS_Store
    /Users/Alan/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/.Trash
    /Users/Alan/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Desktop
    /Users/Alan/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk/Disk
    alan-wheetmans-mac-pro:~ Alan$

Despite this, the Disk Verify reports that the drive appears to be ok. It's just annoying to have something happen like this so soon in one's switch over from the dark side.

I have no idea what it means, why it is there, or how to get rid of it.

Any suggestions please?

Wheetman

mac pro - 2.66 8-Core (2009)
    16 Gig Ram
    2 x WD Velociraptor 300Gig
    2X WD Enterprise Raid Edition 1TB
    WD Green 2TB SATA on order

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Now that is weird. Perhaps some process is creating these Disk folders? Check your Activity Monitor, and report back to us anything that looks unusual.

3. Wheetman thread starter macrumors member

I've had a look at the activity and there doesn't appear to be anything writing to the disk in the background. Is there anything specific I should be looking for in any of the other monitors?

4. snberk103 macrumors 603

Call AppleCare.... you have a year's warranty on the system and they are there to help you.

Did you buy it from an Apple Store or an Authorized reseller? An alternative is to take it back to the store you bought it from, if they know what they are doing. Back up all of your data first (and do it now). That isn't right, and may be prelude to something breaking entirely soon.

5. Wheetman thread starter macrumors member

I intend to call them in the morning, and backing-up is not a problem as I have hardly put anything on the machine yet. Nothing that I cant afford to lose. I am just curious to learn if anyone has come across this problem before?
    all the other threads I've read on nesting seem to find the problem in a particular application called 'Vapor', which I don't appear to have on my machine.

6. Wheetman thread starter macrumors member

Just want to update this thread by saying that I did a fresh install on a new drive and ran Disk Verify again. The problem appears to have disappeared. Still no idea what caused it in the first place, but am content that it has gone.