Net accessible security camera - does this exist?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by comedine, May 25, 2009.

1. comedine macrumors member

Here's what I have - broadband internet going into an Airport Express, 15"MBP and an iPhone.

Here's what I want - When I go away (taking my iPhone and MBP with me) I want to be able to 'log-in' to my security camera/webcam to check out how my house is getting on without me. Ideally, I don't want something that needs permantently installing (so it can live out the way in a cupboard whilst I'm at home).

Does what I want exist and work with Macs? And, if so, do you have it? How is it?

Thanks!

2. comedine thread starter macrumors member

How very patronising. You'll notice that the website you found says "Note that the Linksys camera doesn't work... on Macs."

I was hoping to get a reply from someone who had experience of IP cameras, not experience of searching the internet using Google.

3. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

4. comedine thread starter macrumors member

I give up!

I know how to use Google, guys. I wanted some personal accounts from other Mac users.

I had heard that these forums were a bit 'high and mighty'.

5. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

You never asked for personal accounts, you just asked if and how it can be done.

If you'd have said "I've found a few things on google but wanted to know if anyone had personally set one of these up" that would have been better.

6. MacRUK macrumors newbie

I'd rather leave a standalone IP camera on all day, than my iMac.

I suggest this is a better solution.

When you say you take your MBP away with you, do you mean an IP camera that you can access away from home using your MBP, as therre would be no mac at home ?

All are thus mac compatible, as seen from afar.

7. comedine thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for your polite, helpful reply! Much appreciated.

Yes, I want to take my MBP with me so I thought they would all be Mac compatible (cos I don't want one that needs a computer).

However, from what I can gather, they all need an initial set-up and all the standalone IP cameras I've found so far need a Windows PC for the initial set-up.

8. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

You don't have anything running Windows? Nothing that you can P2V?

What about VMWare or bootcamp with the Win 7 RC download from MS? Or did you just want to avoid Windows full stop?

Can you post some links to some of the cameras that you've found so we can see what sort of thing you are looking at as well as the interface required to set it up

9. osin macrumors 6502

10. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

Good reply. I agree about using Google BUT this is a help forum. Here is where people ask for help. They don't ask for instructions on how to use Google. If people don't want to help, stop reading the forums. I am so tried of seeing people say use Google...

11. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

It's actually a terrible reply.

In the opening post he didn't provide any information about what he had looked at so far and didn't provide the complete question which he wanted answering.

As for the camera not being Mac compatible, it doesn't say that. It says:

Tip
    Note that the Linksys camera doesn't work with Internet Explorer on Macs or with Mozilla Firefox on any computer.

So further research is required on that as it might actually be Mac compatible after all.

He also had commented on what research he had done so far. So although a lot of people might just reply with 'Search Google', most times, its because they are trying a better search than what had already been tried.

Also, why just provide answers, when if you tell them how to find information themselves, they will be able to do this in the future and help others

12. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

I don't know what your budget is, but you may want to look at Axis cameras. They are browser based, so it doesn't really care what your OS is. The models I have worked with (PTZ models, mostly) have been really good and have good resolution. They are a bit pricey, though, so they may be out of your budget range.

http://www.axis.com/products/video/camera/index.htm

13. osin macrumors 6502

I forgot to mention that using those Panasonic IP cameras (aka "Petcams") you can watch live stream on your iPhone. No audio though.

Also you can setup a motion sensor that each time it triggers it will send you an email with photo...

14. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

Because that is what forums is all about...