net book for Canon Camera utility (time-lapse)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by munkees, Feb 19, 2011.

1. munkees macrumors 65816

munkees

I want to do mobile time lapse, I was think of purchasing a cheap ($200) net book to run the Canon utility software.

have any of you out there done this? and good suggestions?

2. flosseR macrumors 6502a

flosseR

What for? I mean if you want to do a timelapse shooting with a DSLR you can get a grip that does intervalometer shooting. Some DSLR s also support that natively.
    If you want a point and shoot, you want a netbook, tethered to the camera shooting x amount of picture.. outside or in?

Looks overcomplicated IMHO...Then again, depends on what you want to shoot.

3. munkees thread starter macrumors 65816

munkees

My camera is a Canon t1i, it does not have intervalometer natively,

can you please explain more about an external intervalometer

4. flosseR macrumors 6502a

flosseR

5. munkees, Feb 19, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2011

munkees thread starter macrumors 65816

munkees

thanks, a lot better than getting a netback, a lot cheap under $100

6. Grasher macrumors member

Bit of a leftfield suggestion, but I wanted to do time lapse as well but was concerned about dramatically increasing the number of shutter activations on my DSLR, plus the security aspect of leaving the camera unattended for lengthy periods. (The alternative being to sit next to the camera for hours on end!)

I ended up getting a Pentax Optio W90 point and shoot. It has built in interval shooting (customisable for 10 seconds upwards) up to 1000 frames, and is fully waterproof and shockproof, so it does double duty as a camera to take hiking, kayaking etc. It obviously doesn't have the full controls of a DSLR but it does a pretty decent job. Time lapse tends to be landscape style shooting so shutter lag isn't really an issue.

Best part was that it only cost $210 from Amazon, so if it gets stolen or damaged then I'm not going to be quite as upset as if my DSLR were to be stolen.