.Net built sites on a Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pbbaker123, Jun 25, 2008.

1. pbbaker123 macrumors regular

Well, If I want to do business with certain clients now, they all subscribe to a service that is built on .Net. I can barely login, much less use the site.

Short of installing windows, which I don't have a copy, is there a work around for this? Thanks.

2. Siron macrumors 6502

Siron

I'm not sure what you're asking. Have you created a web site using the templates available in .Mac? If so they should be able to access your site through the www.yoursitename.mac or you can get a domain name such as www.yoursitename.com and link to your site in .mac.

3. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    Try Crossover. AFAIK, it's the cheapest way to run MS IE 6 on a Mac.

http://www.codeweavers.com

Edit: No copy of Windows is necessary for Crossover and they have a free trial.

4. pbbaker123 thread starter macrumors regular

I guess I wasn't clear. There is an information service that building contractors can subscribe to. They do this because construction plans are GIANT files that take gigs of space just for one project, let alone hundreds. So this service is web based and it allows subcontractors to download these plan files to see if there is something on the project that they would like to bid on. Most companies are set up to store these files locally, much less provide adequate ftp services. For whatever reason, all of these service provider's (there are about 3 or 4 national ones) websites are built such that IE 6 or 7 is required. Not even FF. For whatever reason, everyone of them uses .Net and it pisses me off that they would not build sites that are just web standards compliant.

Also, I tried IE6 in Crossover. It managed to work but was very spotty and had a hard time displaying content.

I will just go to FedEX Kinkos and pay them 12 bucks for a couple of hours worth of work each week. Of course last time I was in a Kinkos, they were still running windows 95.... go figure.

Note to the Mac Universe; I have been in construction and a long time mac user (since system 9 anyway) and I can say this to any developers out there: the software used in the construction industry absolutely sucks!!!!!!!!

5. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

This has very little to do with .NET and everything to do with poor developers. I work in a web-based .NET shop and by using good development standards/techniques .NET websites work perfectly in any browser, including Safari and Firefox. If you do not code to normal web standards (I'm not talking about MS standards) the generated HTML will absolutely suck. A good programmer can easily get .NET websites to behave properly. The problem is that many people with less than adequate skills use the designers and such built in to Visual Studio and create terrible code.

In short, there is nothing you can really do except run the site from IE.

6. pbbaker123 thread starter macrumors regular

7. Siron macrumors 6502

Siron

Sorry - I must have had a brain fart or something but I read .NET and thought you were referring to .MAC :eek: