Net connection "keep-alive" app

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by lamina, Jan 21, 2008.

1. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

Is there an app that will keep a net connection alive? My university boots me off every 10-15 minutes and I'm required to re-authorize. What a pain. The mail app doesn't seem to do it even though I have it heck every 15 minutes.

So, is there an app that will keep my connection alive every 5 or so minutes?

2. kbag87 macrumors newbie

why do they boot you? does it do that to a laptop too??!?!?

I haven't been able to connect to my universities, internetz....

good luck with the app man, idk.

-Keegan

3. lamina thread starter macrumors 68000

lamina

It doesn't do it to my laptop, likely because it is always connected via imap to gmail. I just want an app that will connect to the net every 5 minutes or so.

4. Four20 macrumors 6502a

Four20

5. lamina thread starter macrumors 68000

lamina

Can you please give me some more information on "John's Tool"?, like which repository I can find it on? It would be really nice to have an app that would make it so I don't have to keep signing into my university's network.

Thanks!

6. lamina thread starter macrumors 68000

lamina

Found it!

I run the app, and it just brings me back to the springboard. Anyway I'll see how it works today at school. Thanks for the suggestion.

7. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

I find this tool to be highly unreliable. It doesnt always keep chat clients alive, and you have to run it several times to get it to work. Too bad neither of the chat clients let you know when you went link dead.. they just sit there and make you think you are still online.

8. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

yeh it sends you back to spring board as when you open it you activate its feature to "keep alive"

9. lamina thread starter macrumors 68000

lamina

I too found it unreliable. It would be cool if we could have Mail.app check for new email every 5 minutes. That would be enough to keep the connection alive.