net connection on PB G4

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mojohanna, Mar 26, 2009.

1. mojohanna macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

I have a problem that I can't figure out. I have a rather old and well traveled PB G4. The wife loves using it around the house and it serves her very well for what she wants to do.

However, lately it won't connect to the internet. I have a wireless network in the house and the wireless card in the computer sees and can connect to the network. In fact it can see the neighbors networks as well. When I launch safari, it sits and sits and eventually times out and says it cannot locate the server. I have tried firewall settings, renewing the lease on the DHCP and everything else I could think of.

The strange thing is, if I hook up an ethernet cable, I can get on without any problems.

I am running 10.5.6 and Safari beta 4, had the same problems with Safari 3. (I have also tried with Firefox and no luck there either).

I have a feeling that something is flaky with the airport card. But then I wouldn't think that I would be able to connect to the network. Maybe it can receive, but no longer transmit?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks for the help.

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

1. Delete com.apple.airport.preferences.plist from Macintosh HD\Library\Preferences\SystemConfiguration

2. Reset PRAM/SMC

3. Try a different network (Starbucks, neighbors)

4. Apple Store :)

Cheers!

3. Freyqq macrumors 68040

I have the same issue with mine (12" powerbook g4). It never had that great of a wireless connection..even when it was new. But, these days it says it has full connection, but it doesn't let me connect the the internet half the time. Idk either.

4. FireArse macrumors 6502a

Pb G4

Have you tried reseating the antenna cable & card? May I suggest that before making a trip to the Genius Bar?

F

5. Freyqq macrumors 68040

I've personally tried that. same specs as yours

6. FireArse macrumors 6502a

PB G4 12 inch

Right - Systems Preferences. Create a new 'test' account. Login to that & see if it behaves better.

If that fails and you have access to a FireWire HDD, install as basic an install of 10.4 or 10.5

Boot off that - if it works, you'll know its a software issue on your internal drive. If it doesn't work properly (quite unlikely, but there's a chance) then its a HW issue. If you don't have a FW drive - Archive & Install AFTER backing up.

Does it show up in System Profiler?

F

7. Freyqq macrumors 68040

pretty sure its a hw issue, but my applecare is years past expired

8. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

If you've tried to create a new location, tried in a new user, removed .plists and are unable to connect to other wireless network, then it probably is hardware issue. If you're comfortable with taking apart computers, you're better off getting the AirPort card yourself and installing it. Cheaper than going to the Apple Store.

9. Freyqq macrumors 68040

i don't think it's the card. It detects the card just fine. I think it's the antenna b\c the signal keeps dropping off.

10. mojohanna thread starter macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

Ok, tried resetting the pram. PMU, tossed the preferences list. Nothing works.

What I don't understand is how it can be the card or the antenna. The signal does not drop. In other words, I am always connected to the network. The signal strength meter in the menu bar does not change. It just won't go on to the internet.

It also won't connect to other computers on the network. It just sees the router and can log into that.

I am baffled.

11. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

If you're unable to connect to any network, has to be something on your computer. You've done the troubleshooting but still unable to connect. The next logical thing would be to do an archive and install without preserving user and folder settings.