net flix

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mrdinh, May 23, 2011.

1. mrdinh macrumors regular

do you have an account?..is it worth it?..ie. enough new releases selection?...blockbuster is fine with me, lots of selection...but does net flix offer the same selection?....also how is the speed, the streaming? and physical dvds/blu ray...the arrive fast?

thanks

2. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

I have one
    I think it's worth it
    Not really all the great new releases, just some
    Lots of selection for dvd titles. Streaming titles are somewhat lackluster
    Assuming you have a fast connection, I have FIOS, it streams fine
    DVD's arrive pretty fast. The more DVD's you order within a given month, the slower they get sent. I have 4 at a time unlimited and they generally send my dvd's out within a week. Prior to this, I had 2 at a time and I'd get my new dvd's within a couple days.

3. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

I have NetFlix as well; I signed up for the 2 DVDs + streaming when I got my first Apple TV.

Streaming works fine as long as you have a sufficiently fast broadband connection. I had 3 Mbps DSL when I first started, but it would not stream HD reliably (lots of buffering and stuttering). Doubling that to 6 Mbps did the trick.

DVDs are as h1r0ll3r said; my 2 DVDs get replaced rather quickly after returning them. I think the phenomenon h1r0ll3r is experiencing with his 4-DVD plan is the fact that NetFlix is trying to shift its operational emphasis toward streaming and away from mailing physical DVDs (and the shipping costs that incurs). The only problem is that only about 10-20% of the selections NetFlix has on physical disc is available for streaming; NetFlix will have to make significant progress on its streaming library in order to see shipping costs decrease.

4. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I've had Netflix for a while now, and it's been great. Any scratches discs, if it interferes with playback, is immediately replaced with a second without question. Customer service amounts to a lot, although it's only been very rare that there's been a problem.

5. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

Even if it's just for the streaming, it's worth it

6. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

Super fast shipping for me. If I drop at the post office on Monday, I have a new disc in my mailbox by Thursday, sometimes Wednesday. Never had more than a two disc plan so I can't comment as to the "throttling" described above.

Streaming is good for me. Only occasional lags on the order of ~1 lag per 3 showings, never more than 10-15 seconds as the buffer catches up.

It's been great for catching up on TV series which seem to be better represented than movies.