Netbeans or similar Java programming app + further programming down the line

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by Ben Dixon, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Ben Dixon macrumors member

Hi everyone,

I am currently in my first year of a games design and programming course and am looking to buy myself a laptop for the second year as I will be living off campus. My question is about how I would, if possible, go about programming for the following languages without dual booting if possible. Just let me know what I want to hear so I can buy my first mac this summer :D

Windows games programming [XNA]
    C++
    C#

The programming will vary from AI to physics and probably back to making 'simple' applications.

May also look at getting maya for it if you know whether it runs better for mac or just get it for my windows machine

Other than programming, my main uses for the macbook/pro would be general internet browsing, typing word documents with iWork and possibly some photoshop work for textures etc as I can do all of my 3D modelling on my PC.

Thanks, Ben Dixon

Edit: This thread maybe in the wrong place, but as it is solely to do with programming, I thought it may be suitable here and I could get a faster/better response from the buyers/general threads.

2. Alan S macrumors member

C#? I don't think so, not without dual booting. Beside C# is history, you want to be learning Objective-C for iPhone/iPad programming.

Is there a question in that post somewhere? What do you want to hear?

If you are a student you will like need free, so for Java NetBeans would be my choice, but other people here will likely tell you Eclipse. If you can afford to pay for an IDE get IntelliJ. For Objective-C/iPhone/Mac/iPad - XCode, but you already knew that.

3. kyzen macrumors regular

How do you figure? I'm fairly certain it's thriving :p

As for C# on the Mac, there's no ideal solution. Mono ( http://www.mono-project.com/Main_Page ) might do something for you. Honestly though, and especially if you want to do anything with XNA, you'll need to dual boot.

But consider this a second vote for Netbeans ;)

4. rev316 macrumors regular

If your cursing the C#/XMA side of things, dual boot.

AKA Your department will probably offer a copy of Windows and I highly recommend you use it.

5. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

There is no XNA implementation on any OS other than Windows.

If all you were doing was straight C# then you could use the Mac quite happily with Mono and MonoDevelop (although their support for the new features of .Net is lacking they have pretty good support for the latest version of the C# language standard).

6. Ben Dixon thread starter macrumors member

Cheers for all the help guys, as stated in my first post I will also be buying a new desktop PC or giving my PC a much needed upgrade, so theoretically I could just do the XNA stuff back at my house in the next academic year.

All I really wanted to know was whether I would be able to program the languages I will be using on a mac. I may even start making my own games for the iPhone by self teaching myself objective - c when and if I do get my mac so watch this space :rolleyes:

7. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Java: Works (note that version 6 is Intel only)
    C: Works
    C++: Works, with limitations (no 64-bit support)

8. mongrol macrumors regular

Nonsense. You mean Carbon has no 64bit support? I can compile 64bit versions of my C++ game no problems on 10.6

9. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

I think you mean *Carbon* doesn't have 64 bit support. Carbon is a C library, not a C++ library. Both C and C++ support 64 bit fine.

10. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Right, I was thinking of GUI programming, which uses Carbon. I forgot you can make CLI programs 64-bit just fine.