Netbeans too Coda, Good or bad move?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by smilinmonki666, Apr 21, 2011.

1. smilinmonki666 macrumors regular

I currently use Netbeans & have recently upgraded to v7. I do love Netbeans as an IDE, it has everything I need:

• PHP (predictive & link with the PHP Manual) editor
    • HTML5 editor
    • CSS editor
    • JavaScript editor
    • SVN
    • MySQL query browser
    • FTP support
    • Project Browser
    • plus much much more...
    My only concern with this is that it is based on the Java platform. and every now and then it can run slow & I have to restart the application. Not a major thing, but is still an annoyance.

I have been looking at Coda recently and going to download and try to demo the app.

What I would like to know, is if anyone else has made the move from Netbeans too Coda, or the other way and noticed much difference?

I think i'm just being daft as Netbeans is a great IDE, but if I can get something native to osX that works just as well or better, than I would make the transition?

2. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

When i moved from Netbeans to Coda all i really missed was the code completion for Rails and PHP. However now that Netbeans is dropping Rails i would have had to move anyway.

Some things i noticed between Coda and Netbeans.

• Coda is faster to develop with
    • Coda lovely FTP and SVN integration
    • Coda's interface is cleaner and easier to work with
    • Coda handles large projects without bogging down (though to be fair for Netbeans its slowdown is due to how much is going on in the background)
    • Netbeans seemed to bog down a lot and its UI often got in the way of what i was doing.
    • Netbeans just did not seem well suited so PHP
    • Coda's terminal integration and file management are cleaner and more mac like.
    • Coda has a nice PHP Docblock plugin

Mileage will vary depending on your workflow and needs.

And Coda + CSSEdit is a great combo for web design especially with TEA for Coda.

3. smilinmonki666 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you Cabbit.

You've pointed out a few of my other concerns. I have begun the download & will try tonight/tomorrow.

I will let you know my thoughts.

Thanks again.