Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MinustheCoop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
I just bought a netbook loaded with Windows 7 cause I'm waiting for the new Macbook Pro, just sold my Macbook, and thought it'd be handy before and after they release it. I didn't want to download the Norton since I've had horrible experiences on previous PC's.
I was hoping to get some good recommendations on a free anti-virus program to download since I haven't had a PC for nearly 3 years and don't know what's going on in the PC world these days as far as anti-virus programs go. Thanks :)

techound1

macrumors 68000
Mar 3, 2006
As much as I'm choking on typing this, the new nortons are actually much leaner than they used to be and not nearly the system-clogging AV-from-hell they once were. That said, since your just going with if for a few months, prudent surfing and free AV will do you just fine. My understanding (from a PC buddy who got nailed) is that AVG had a zero-day virus attack that nailed a lot of users. Wish I could remember more about why and if it was fixed and etc...

js81

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
KY

^^ Definitely SECONDED. Very happy with AVG Free.

My understanding (from a PC buddy who got nailed) is that AVG had a zero-day virus attack that nailed a lot of users. Wish I could remember more about why and if it was fixed and etc...

Never had this myself, and I've used AVG for about 2.5 years. Sure it wasn't some other hole that got exploited? After all, this IS Windows we're talking about...

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
Avira's excellent and was picked by I think Maximum PC AND Consumer Reports as the best. Used that for years, though I've switched many of my systems over to Microsoft Security Essentials.

Don't 100% know for sure how well it works, but it certainly is light on resources (so is Avira).

Used to use Symantec, until that got to be a horrible, bloated, network-interfering-with mess, so that I quit using it even though my company has a site license.

You know it's bad when free is too pricey :-D

techound1

macrumors 68000
Mar 3, 2006
Never had this myself, and I've used AVG for about 2.5 years. Sure it wasn't some other hole that got exploited? After all, this IS Windows we're talking about...

LOL. Well, other than being a windows user, he's pretty tech savvy. :p I remember heavy muttering about AVG, but as you said, it may have been a combo of things.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.