Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iLuvmyUBMBP84

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2009
Everywhere
Was wondering if I could use my netbook (with a 160gig) harddrive to back up my music and other media. I have about 50-60gigs worth of stuff I'd like to back up. The only catch is, this netbook is running Ubuntu. I also have a 120gig iPod classic which I also thought of using. Any advice/tips??

Thanks guys

iLuvmyUBMBP84

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2009
Everywhere
Yeah any advice/tips would be sweet. Whenever I plug my ipod into another computer either running os x/ windows/linux all the folders show up like "F83" and all the mp3 files are not named properly. I want to be able to have everything just the way it is now...so when I format and reinstall os x on my mbp, everything will be the same.

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
When backing up your music, you should do it from the source files, not from the iPod. The iPod keeps its files that way to reduce piracy. Once option for what you want to do is to use the rsync command from Terminal. Just use Google to find you some tutorials. It's not too hard, but if you're afraid of the command line it may be a bit scary, but then again, you are running Ubunutu so shouldn't be an issue.

iLuvmyUBMBP84

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2009
Everywhere
that rsync command seems a little advanced for a newbie. I'm more worried about my music then my apps/docs (which all fit on one DVD) are there any other options I can do??

ian.maffett

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2008
Florida
Sure - just pick up an external drive to put your tunes on. They're quite cheap today and it won't use up all your space on your netbook. I keep my music on a separate drive for backup. I search all .MP3 and copy them all to the drive.

iLuvmyUBMBP84

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2009
Everywhere
Sure - just pick up an external drive to put your tunes on. They're quite cheap today and it won't use up all your space on your netbook. I keep my music on a separate drive for backup. I search all .MP3 and copy them all to the drive.

if my funds weren't tied up in rent, car payments and other bills I would get an external...for now I have to use what resources I have. I don't mind using 60 gigs of my netbook just to transfer over my mp3s.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.